Spot training has been a topic of discussion for many years. The idea of focusing on that one particular part of the body to improve it sounds incredible, but unfortunately, most fitness professionals now agree that this approach doesn’t work. Instead of training one muscle, you can get noticeable results by doing exercises that raise the heart rate to burn lots of calories and reduce overall body mass. Weight loss clinic Chicago professionals told us that women are more likely to store fat in the thigh area because of their hormones. If you want to slim them, here are the best exercises to lose thigh fat.
Squats are certainly the most common leg exercises, but doing them the right way is still a challenge for many people. Here’s how to do them:
- Stand straight with your legs spread apart (about the shoulder width).
- Then, start lowering your body while bending your knees and keeping your back straight.
- When your hips are slightly lower than your knees, stop, wait a couple of seconds, and get back up.
Another type of squat you might find useful is the sumo squat. The process is the same, except this time, you should spread your legs wider apart. You can also try standing on your toes.
Lunge exercises to lose thigh fat
Lunges tend to be movements that people ignore because they’re boring or not useful. If you agree with this statement, it could be that you haven’t been doing them properly.
To correctly do regular (forward) lunges:
- Stand up with your feet together.
- Step forward with one leg and try to move your weight onto it.
- Go down until both your knees are bent at the right angle (90 degrees).
- Then, pull back up.
- Switch to your other leg afterward.
Include side lunges for your inner thighs too.
If you’re into outdoor activities, here’s a great one for you. Cycling is one of the best exercises to lose thigh fat.
For women, we store more fat in our lower bodies, so cycling can be great for burning it. While you can’t spot train the thighs, as explained earlier, you can bike to lose weight. The body then decides where to take the fat from.
This workout is one that you incorporate into your routine easily if you already own a bike. Get out on a trail or ride on the road, but always wear a helmet and understand how to ride safely. You might even start biking to work instead of taking your vehicle.
Jogging and fast walking
You either love or hate this one, but if you want to lose that thigh fat, slowly jogging and fast walking will be your best friends. Don’t speed it up too much, though, because then you might start building muscles rather than losing fat.
Do you want to lose fat in other areas too? If so, this guide to losing cheek fat is also useful!
This one is a great exercise for both outdoors and indoors. You just need stairs or a bench.
How to do it:
- Simply step up on a bar with one leg.
- Press through your heel.
- Bring the other leg up.
Repeat the activity, alternating your legs.
Inner thigh circles: More exercises to lose thigh fat
If you want to really activate those inner thigh muscles, here is how to do it. That’s right, do inner thigh circles.
If you’re not sure where to begin, here is a breakdown of the movements:
- Lay down on one side.
- Bend your top leg over the other one until your top leg’s ankle meets the other leg’s knee.
- Then, simply start making circles with your bottom leg.
- Repeat on the other side.
Resistance band clamshell
It’s time to invest in a resistance band if you haven’t already. They are affordable and versatile.
These bands act on your muscles with a certain amount of force, while doing a range of movements. One example is the clamshell exercise.
Here’s how to do a clamshell exercise with resistance bands:
- Lay down on your side, with knees bent.
- Put the band around your thighs (a bit above your knees).
- Then, try to spread your thighs apart as much as you can.
- Finally, bring them back together.
- Repeat for the other side.
Leg lift exercises to lose thigh fat
This part of the workout is as simple as it sounds. The leg lift involves simply lifting your legs, although you’ll want to get the form right for the maximum benefit.
For this activity:
- Begin by laying down on your back.
- Lift your legs to a 45 degrees angle while keeping them straight.
- Hold like that for 10 seconds.
- Slowly bring the legs down.
Increase the time of the hold each day. See, I told you it was simple! The easiness of it doesn’t take away from its effectiveness, though.
Implementing these exercises to your home workouts can help you get rid of thigh fat. However, don’t forget to adapt your eating plan and overall lifestyle as part of your efforts to achieve this goal.
Keep track of your daily water intake too. Finally, stay away from too much salt because it generally causes water retention, which is very visible in the leg area.