5 Empowering Ways To Improve Your Relationship

To achieve a successful relationship, it is essential that you are willing to put the work in. If you are going to avoid getting set in your ways, you will need to have an open mind about what the future holds. Rather than putting up with the negative aspects of your pairing, you should be striving for more. There are so many empowering ways for you to improve your relationship, so there is no need to hold back. Working together, you and your partner can create a wonderful union that is positive, fulfilling, and enjoyable. It will require a substantial amount of time and effort, but eventually, you will get there. Below are 5 tips to help improve your relationship.

Boost your confidence and encourage your partner to do the same

The first tip is to boost your confidence, whilst encouraging your partner to do the same. This is an excellent way for you to strengthen your relationship. Instead of relying on your loved one for an endless amount of support and praise, you will find it easier to know your own worth. Of course, it will still be nice to receive compliments from your other half, but you will no longer be dependent on this kind of attention. That is why you should endeavor to overcome your insecurities until you have successfully enhanced your self-esteem.

Help your loved one to work through their own insecurities too. Perhaps they feel terrible about their weight. Why not assist them in getting fit and active? Or, maybe they are troubled by hair loss. Why not go online to review options that could be suitable?

Evaluate your group of friends

The next tip is to take a step back and look at your group of friends. If you are determined to improve your relationship, you will need to strike the right balance between having your own friends and socializing alongside your other half. Ideally, you should have at least one other couple to spend time with. This will create a fantastic opportunity for you to connect with people who understand your situation.

Hopefully, they will support you through the rough times without passing judgment or taking sides. You should also find it easier to speak positively about your relationship, as it won’t feel as though you are bragging. However, there may be times when you need your own friends. If your other half is uncomfortable with you having this option, you should view their outlook as a warning sign. You need to remember that you are a person in your own right. Even if you are extremely similar to your partner, it still makes perfect sense for you to have your own acquaintances.

If this is not yet the case, set yourself the challenge of finding two or three new friends by the end of the year. You don’t have to spend all of your time with them, but every now and then you should make an effort to socialize independently.

Don’t be afraid to care about your job

If you are an extremely hard working and ambitious individual, it is likely that you care an awful lot about your job. This is nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, it is incredibly healthy to have your own career path and exciting plans for the future. Whatever you do, don’t hold back from telling your loved one about your job. If they truly care about you, they should be willing to hear you out, ask questions, and offer you advice. In return, you should take an active interest in your partner’s career.

In addition to this, sit down with your other half to discuss any negative side effects of working so hard. It might be that they are spending too much time in the office. Why not compromise by planning a relaxing vacation or a short weekend away together? Or, it could be that you are always distant and distracted during the evenings. Why not resolve the situation by switching off your devices and temporarily ignoring your work emails? Take comfort in knowing you are making time to improve your relationship.

Find time to reflect on your relationship

You will also need to speak honestly and openly to your partner when it comes to reflecting on your relationship. Rather than making do with a setup you are unhappy with, instead evaluate your situation regularly. If you do this with your partner, it is important that you talk through your issues in a respectful and empathetic way. You should also place a heavy emphasis on the positive elements of your relationship and your willingness to move forward as a pair.

Alternatively, if you decide to do you reflecting independently, you will need to find a safe space that provides you with some perspective. Why not organize a solo trip to a relaxing setting? Or, if you don’t have the time or money to spare, you could always try meditation and use this activity as a way to sort through your feelings.

Ways to improve your relationship: Set goals

Last but not least, set yourself relationship goals. No matter how satisfied you are with your current relationship, there is always room for improvement. It is also vital that you acknowledge the fact that both you and your partner are continually evolving. Over the years your likes, your dislikes, your circumstances, and your opinions are going to change. Consequently, your relationship should be moving forward at the same pace. Otherwise, you could find yourself growing further and further apart from the one you love.

If you are going to prevent this from happening, you will need to take efforts to stay connected to your partner. Look for exciting projects that you two can tackle together, for example. This could be anything from building flat pack furniture to running a marathon. Also, set your sights on important milestones that you would like to experience together. If it is a relatively new relationship, it might feel a little odd to discuss your goals so early on. However, it is important to establish whether or not you are on the same page.

You may also like

3 Tips for Moving in With Your Boyfriend

1. Lucy Blackall July 13, 2018

That’s so funny because these are all things I’ve actively done without realising they’ve improved my life in positive ways… so it’s nice to realise that from reading your post! Thank you. X

1. Christy B July 15, 2018

I’m cheering you on, Lucy!

2. Joan E Wilder July 13, 2018

I like the thought about creating relationship goals Christy. I always think of goals in terms of work, but never my personal life. I think you hit the nail on the head – I need to start realizing what is successful in my efforts at work will work for my successes at home too. Thank you for helping me realize that!
    A wonderful article – yet again – you are very talented – thank you for sharing your wisdom! hugs!

1. Christy B July 15, 2018

Goals for personal and professional parts of our lives are important, and knowing you had an illuminated moment from reading this one makes my heart full, Joan ♥

3. Create Space July 14, 2018

This is a pocket size bible of healthy happy relationships, should go everywhere with us! Excellent post Christy!

1. Christy B July 15, 2018

Ohhhh you’re so thoughtful to write this! ♥

4. I loved the way you jotted the thoughts and expressed the important points for a beautiful relationship

1. Christy B July 15, 2018

Your comment makes me happy to read :)

2. My pleasure 😇

3. Christy B July 24, 2018

5. InspireYourMarriage July 14, 2018

I really like this post, especially your point about finding time to reflect on your relationship. So often we just go through life hoping our relationship will be great. But unless you actually take time to think about what you want out of it and what your partner wants, it can easily go down a bad path. Putting your desires and your partner’s desires at the forefront of your mind is very important, but easily forgotten.

1. Christy B July 15, 2018

Wonderful feedback here!

6. Linnea Tanner July 14, 2018

Nice tips, Christy, on improving relationshipship. It is an ongoing process in which each partner needs to make a commitment. Have a wonderful weekend!

1. Christy B July 15, 2018

So true about it being an ongoing effort. Thanks Linnea, and I hope your weekend has been lovely!

7. Resa July 14, 2018

Do you think one of the eventual goals that should be discussed early is having a family/children?

1. Christy B July 15, 2018

Yes, that’s a great point, Resa. I remember going on a few dates with a guy who then told me he didn’t want any more kids. If this is a deal breaker for someone then they deserve to know it early on.

2. Resa July 15, 2018

I agree!
      Yet, it’s not always a matter of want. Some, like myself, could not have children, for medical reasons. So, I always shared this info up front. Of course, :D I found someone who loves me, anyway.

3. Christy B July 15, 2018

I love you too ♥ ♥

4. Resa July 15, 2018

<3 <3 <3 <3

5. Christy B July 24, 2018

Awwww ♥

8. Jeri Walker (@JeriWB) July 14, 2018

So my love and I are kinda sorta in each other’s orbit again. Both of us have realized more of the ways how we handle relationship matters are entrenched with issues relating back to childhood wounds. I’m learning how not to overreact. That’s a big one for me.

1. Christy B July 15, 2018

I wish you and your love all the best ~ It sounds like you are learning a lot from one another xo

9. mywifeisablackbelt July 15, 2018

Good advice I think!

1. Christy B July 15, 2018

So happy you think so!

10. Anonymous July 15, 2018

YOU ARE SPOT ON HUN!!!!!

1. Christy B July 15, 2018

Great to hear!

2. steven oladejo July 16, 2018

Where are you from

11. broadview11 July 15, 2018

well done!

12. steven oladejo July 16, 2018

You seem to capture my mind all the time. There is never a moment when I don’t think about you or miss your presence. Your love takes over me all the time. I feel so weak in your love.

13. Love the section on setting goals! As always, great post!

1. Christy B July 24, 2018

You’re awesome!

14. Amy Caudill July 16, 2018

Great tips, Christy! Having a healthy, long-lasting relationship with a significant other takes hard work, but can be one of the most rewarding parts of our lives.

1. Christy B July 24, 2018

It’s hard work for sure! I feel like sometimes people aren’t willing to do the legwork but in the end there’s so many rewards if you do :)

15. robbiecheadle July 16, 2018

This is very good advice, Christy, especially what you have said about jobs and working. This can be an issue in a relationship and it is best to ensure your partner understands your goals right up front.

1. Christy B July 24, 2018

It really is important to have clear communication. Thanks Robbie.

16. dgkaye July 17, 2018

Excellent article Christy. It’s amazing how similar we are with our writings about relationships. <3

1. Christy B July 24, 2018

What a great compliment, Debby xo

2. dgkaye July 25, 2018

17. Robert Matthew Goldstein July 18, 2018

You’ll know your relationship works if you still adore each other 30 years later. :)

1. Christy B July 24, 2018

So true!!

18. Grace Song July 24, 2018

This was so nicely written! I was able to agree with everything you wrote as someone who’s been in a relationship for almost 3 years now. I think being open to each other and actively listening to your partner is very crucial in order to maintain a healthy relationship! I’ve learned that it’s not good to bottle things up inside because that just creates misunderstandings and that when my boyfriend explains his side of the situation, I carefully listen and not interrupt to state my point. Thanks so much for this!!!

1. Christy B September 8, 2018

Active listening is a skill we can all work on getting better at – I’m one who is in the process of doing exactly that! Thanks for sharing about what helps you and your boyfriend communicate better, Grace xo

19. Admin July 29, 2018

Weldone, Nice writeup

1. Christy B September 8, 2018

20. Mummanopoly August 26, 2018

Omg so much truth in what you have said.. it’s funny, little conscious tweaks here and there makes a big difference! Thanks for sharing 👍🏾

1. Christy B September 8, 2018

And thanks to you too for your great posts!

2. Mummanopoly September 8, 2018

Awwwww thank you Christy! 😘💛

21. Its Kelle's Space August 28, 2018

This is a very empowering post.
    Thank you for sharing this message.
    Kelle

1. Christy B September 8, 2018

Thanks for being here, Kelle!

22. Ceyhunra August 29, 2018

Very nice

1. Christy B August 29, 2018

23. Hoon Gyeong September 11, 2018

such excellent bits of advice. Best of luck to everyone.

24. Hope, Lust, & Miscarriage November 6, 2018

Beautiful. Your posts are so well written. I can’t wait to read more.

1. Christy B November 8, 2018

Wonderful to have you here and thanks for the compliment :)