Debunking 4 CBD Oil Myths: The Surprising Evidence

Chances are good that you have heard of CBD, short for cannabidiol, which is a non-psychoactive derivative of cannabis. In fact, it’s likely that you have even tried CBD oil, given that Forbes estimates that the CBD market will be worth $3 billion within a few years. Clearly, many consumers are buying and using this substance. But there is a fair amount of confusion around the oil, particularly surrounding the its relationship to cannabis. You might find the evidence surprising as we start our list of debunking CBD oil myths, in collaboration with SmokeSmith Gear. Here are the top 4 myths.

CBD Oil Myths #1. It’s Psychoactive

Assuming that the CBD oil you use is from a hemp plant, it is not psychoactive. In other words, it will not make you feel high.

That’s because hemp plants contain only tiny amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol or THC. It’s THC the psychoactive compound in other cannabis plants, that causes the effect of feeling high.

For a cannabis plant to be considered hemp, it must contain no more than 0.3% THC. This number is 33 times less than the least potent euphoric-causing cannabis strain. While hemp and cannabis come from the same plant, they are different parts of that plant, with very different effects.

Debunking CBD oil myths: CBD from this cannabis plant is non-psychoactive

(Unsplash)

2. CBD Oil is a Miracle Cure

While CBD oil has many therapeutic benefits – and many more continue to be studied – the fact of the matter is that it is not a cure for cancer or diabetes or epilepsy. What CBD oil is useful for is providing a form of treatment of many different ailments, from chronic pain to sleeplessness to, yes, cancer.

But that is very different from saying that is offers a cure. Still, many consumers find it useful as part of a health and wellness routine to treat these conditions. But it is not a miracle cure. Nothing is.

3. You Must Ingest CBD Oil for Therapeutic Benefits

Sure, ingestible oils and other edibles, such as gummies, are among the most popular ways to consume CBD oil. But they’re not the only forms. In addition there is a form of CBD oil that is meant to be used in a portable vaporizer or vape pen. This form of CBD vaping oil is usually not as thick as the orally ingestible kind. And it often comes in mixed form with propylene glycol, which allows its use with a vaporizer.

If you plan on vaping CBD oil, be sure you realize that you should not simply place the orally ingestible version into a vape pen. That’s one more surprising fact as we continue debunking CBD oil myths.

4. CBD Oil is Illegal

Most of the CBD oil sold in the United States is manufactured using industrial hemp, which is legal to farm, harvest and sell. Any CBD oil made from hemp is legal, no matter what state you live in. For this reason CBD oil is readily available at many local health stores and wellness centers. It is legal to purchase online too. CDB oil, whether from hemp or Cannabis, is legal in all 30 states selling recreational and medical cannabis. And another 17 states have CBD-specific laws on the books.

Debunking CBD Oil Myths: Over to You

Did any of these CBD facts surprise you? Debunking CBD oil myths has been on our to-do list for a while. We’re happy to help separate fact from fiction.

1. Samantha July 10, 2018

I like this post Christy. May I please reblog it?

1. Christy B July 10, 2018

Absolutely. I would be flattered. Thank you, Samantha!

2. Samantha July 10, 2018

Thanks Christy :-)

3. Samantha July 10, 2018

Actually, I do not see your reblog button :-( Am I missing it?

4. Christy B July 11, 2018

Hi Samantha, now that I’m looking at it I don’t think my current design supports reblogging. Instead, you can link back to the post within your own, if you like. I know it’s a bit more work. I appreciate the thought, regardless of whether you do so. I hope you’re doing well!

5. Samantha July 11, 2018

Thank you Christy! I may create a CBD post myself and link back to yours sometimes in the near future. I have a question for you… How do you find time to write for work and create such wonderful posts still? I am struggling with balance.

6. Christy B July 11, 2018

Sounds good about the link back and thank you in advance if you do so. Finding balance isn’t easy. I write a lot, I have a to-do list and make sure I stick to it. Some days are long and I typically work 6 of the 7 days of the week. It involves sacrifices but it’s worth it in the end. I hope this helps. I know it can be hard but thinking that you’re helping others can be an amazing way to motivate yourself xo

7. Samantha July 11, 2018

Thank you so much for the advice. ❤

8. Christy B July 11, 2018

I believe in you.

9. Samantha July 12, 2018

Aww thank you ❤

10. Christy B July 12, 2018

#Truth.

2. UpwardJourneys July 10, 2018

CBD oil relaxes me and helps me sleep

1. Christy B July 10, 2018

Relaxation = wonderful :)

2. UpwardJourneys July 10, 2018

3. Resa July 10, 2018

I’m growing a pot plant! Very excited, as I believe in the powers of the correct applications of marijuana…ie CBS & THC. Much suffering may be eliminated. Great article, Christy!

1. Christy B July 11, 2018

Keep me posted on your plant’s status :D

2. Resa July 12, 2018

I’m getting a grow bulb this week! :D Plant is a foot high!

3. Christy B July 12, 2018

Ohhhhh ~ Is it indoor or outdoor? I’m glad it’s thriving :)

4. Resa July 12, 2018

Indoor! :D

5. Christy B July 31, 2018

I hope your indoor plant is still doing well, Resa :)

6. Resa August 3, 2018

So far, so good! :D

7. Christy B August 3, 2018

:D Have a wonderful weekend ahead, Resa!

8. Resa August 3, 2018

TY, Chrisy! Same wishes for you! 🌹
      I’m really busy, and distracted because I finally found a fab project I’d like to Design for, but the competition is very stiff. That’s why I’m over on Art Gowns. The movie is about gowns, and I’m working on presentation. So, I gotta put in lots of extra effort! Will know in about 10 days. <3 xx

9. Christy B August 3, 2018

Ohhh that’s so exciting! I’m crossing my fingers for you and know your presentation will ROCK. You’re an incredible designer ~ I know this no matter what happens! Thanks for the well wishes too xo

10. Resa August 3, 2018

xoxo

11. Christy B August 4, 2018

4. Eliza Waters July 10, 2018

The most impressive thing I’ve read about CBD oil is its successful and safe use as anti-seizure medicine. Huge as most pharmaceuticals have serious side effects. We need more research to find what else it can do.

1. Christy B July 11, 2018

Yes, some epilepsy patients have received relief, which is good to hear. It’ll be interesting what research over the next few years brings up.

5. ortensia July 11, 2018

Interesting post,thanks for sharing

1. Christy B September 14, 2018

Glad you found the info on CBD Oil myths useful!

6. Teagan R. Geneviene July 11, 2018

Very intriguing Christy. Thanks for the info. Hugs.

1. Christy B July 11, 2018

There’s a lot to know so I’m glad it’s appreciated :)

7. Laura Beth July 11, 2018

Great information! Thank you for giving us the facts!

1. Christy B July 11, 2018

Great you find it useful! :)

8. OIKOS™-Redaktion July 11, 2018

Thank you Christy for the very useful information. Now i am able to “re-post.” Hope its OK? Best wishes, Michael

1. Christy B July 11, 2018

Thank you so much, Michael! I love your site :) It’s a pleasure to be on it.

2. OIKOS™-Redaktion July 11, 2018

Thank youuuuuuuuuu! :-)

3. Christy B July 12, 2018

Smiling :)

4. OIKOS™-Redaktion July 12, 2018

:-)

9. Cait Winters July 11, 2018

I used CBD Vape before & I loved it!

1. Christy B July 11, 2018

Great you had a positive experience!

10. cbdnutritiononline July 19, 2018

Very helpful article and you have really shared the facts about the CBD. Really impressed, Keep up the good work. I would love to add my inputs into this – The cannabis plant has almost 60 cannabinoids out of which Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and Cannabidiol (CBD) are two well-known cannabinoid compounds. Those who don’t know what cannabinoids are? Let me help you with the overview! Cannabinoids are the chemical compound secreted from the cannabis plant. Those cannabis plants with low resin level are classified as hemp and those cannabis plants with high resin level are classified as marijuana. According to the latest research, cannabinoids have the ability to interact with cells in the endocannabinoid system of the body.
    When the researchers discovered cannabinoids, later it was discovered that even human body produces endogenous cannabinoids named as endocannabinoid system. It means the humans do not only produce the cannabinoids in the body, they also have special receptors effectively responding to the cannabinoids. Together, the body’s endogenous cannabinoids and the receptors connect with them to form the endocannabinoid system. However, the ECS system is responsible to carry out numerous functions within the human body with the help of homeostasic balance. It is meant to regulate various bodily tasks, such as pain, sleep, immune system, inflammation, mood and stress.
    Hope this will help.

1. Christy B July 31, 2018

Thank you for the additional information about CBD oil myths and evidence on nutrition.

11. Terri July 30, 2018

This is a great post. Very informative. Thank you!

1. Christy B July 31, 2018

Great to hear it, Terri!

12. momlife07 September 22, 2018

Iv been in the CBD industry for a little bit and just decided to try and start a blog. Its defiantly a process. Its nice to see such an amazing post on some facts that so many people are unaware of. If you would like to be a CBD oil supplier with outrageously amazing benefits check out my blog! Keep up the great work :)

13. Cassandra November 1, 2018

I think #1 is kind of wrong but it depends on how you define “psychoactive”. If you just mean it’s not psychoactive in the same way that marijuana is then it’s correct, though.

1. Christy B March 3, 2019

Yes that’s what was meant by that. Thanks for checking!