Boost Social Media Followers: A Female Blogger’s Secrets

Loretta of The Countdown to 60 blog stops by to share her tips for boosting your follower counts on Facebook and Instagram. Her efforts to boost social media followers to her accounts that focus on women over 50 are focused and work. Below are this female blogger’s secrets:

How to Boost Social Media Followers

Just under a year ago, I woke up one morning and thought, “I’m going to be 60 soon!” Asking Google how many days until my 60th birthday, I laughed when the number came back 666.

In a way, reaching 60 felt like a beast.

So to tackle the beast, I decided in that very moment to start a blog, and titled it The Countdown to 60. I quickly added a Facebook page and an Instagram account under that moniker as well. I had no idea just what I was getting into.

It’s one thing to start a blog, and quite another to jump into the social media arena. I was in for the ride of my life. Not only was I writing a blog post daily, I was also trying to build an online platform.

At 58 I was very familiar with Facebook, as our age group has pretty much taken it over. It felt comfortable and safe, and I focused my attention there in the beginning. I quickly found several groups to join, which became just as quickly overwhelming.

Facebook symbol appeals in the pupil of a macro face.

Wondering how to boost your Facebook follower count? Feeling overwhelmed? So was Loretta. Photo via Pixabay.

Each group has different rules and procedures and trying to figure them all out was not easy. I did meet a wonderful woman who was starting a Facebook Posse (yes, I didn’t know there was such a thing either), and I joined up with her to showcase and promote my Facebook page.

Even though we had over 30 women in the group, it was just a small bite in the enormous media pie, and very manageable.

I stayed with the posse for seven months, and finally moved on. Even though I was posting daily to Instagram, my followers were slowly trickling in, and I thought it was time to step up my Insta-game.

Where Facebook was familiar, Instagram was an almost stranger to me. I had a small personal account before starting the business one, but knew nothing of how hashtags, photo optimizing and tagging others worked.

So I ask Google again and learned a little. But I was lost, and even some seasoned IG friends wouldn’t help me. So, a couple of my new online buddies and I decided to join together and share our knowledge with each other.

We learned which hashtags to use and which to avoid. Then we figured out what days and times were the best to post. From there, a few in the younger crowd invited us to join “pods” for likes and comments.

Boost social media followers like this female blogger Loretta

Meet Loretta, owner of the The Countdown to 60 blog. How has she grown her Instagram and Twitter networks? Secrets in this post. Photo via Loretta.

It became a full time job. And before long I hated trying to keep up with it all.

My Instagram feed was filled with people I had little to nothing in common with. And my followers were 75% men with private accounts following thousands of other women. It was a mess.

One weekend I spent hours cleaning up my cluttered account. I deleted and block as many of the men that IG allowed at one time. I unfollowed about 700 young moms who shared all of their child-rearing secrets (no offense to them, I was just years beyond raising children). And I started over.

After months of searching #over50, I was able to gain about 1,000 followers. A good start but a long ways to go to boost social media followers if I wanted to be taken seriously as an influencer and hopefully start making some money at this. I was feeling at a loss of what more to do.

Most of the online Facebook groups I joined were very much the same. Anyone can post on the page, and everyone does. Everyone was vying for attention, but very few actually giving attention. It became “white noise” for most of us.

So instead of lamenting there wasn’t a group out there that was exactly what I was looking for, I decided to start my own. Talk about biting off more than I could chew!

But, as I always say, “How do you eat an Elephant?” One bite at a time. I’ve taken several bites, and so far so good. Creating my own group instantly increased my IG following by 1,000. And they are almost all people in my demographic.

Don’t get me wrong; starting a new group, there have already been some bumps in the road. But there will always be people who want things done their way and are unhappy no matter what I do.

The trick to boost social media followers is to stay focused and build a community of like-minded people.

About Loretta of The Countdown to 60

Loretta Sayers is a blogger and published author. Her blog is dedicated to all of the people out there that may feel the same way she does. Her writing is authentic, raw, honest and vulnerable. Connect with Loretta on Facebook and Instagram today.

Do you have any other tips to boost social media followers? Leave a comment below!

1. Linda Mims July 9, 2018

Thanks Christy! I want to stretch my wings and this is just the motivation I need. 🤗

1. Loretta Sayers July 9, 2018

Linda, it can be a lot of work, but also a lot of fun!

2. Linda Mims July 9, 2018

Thanks, Loretta! I wish you continued success.

3. Christy B July 10, 2018

Cheering you on, Linda! I’m loving the conversations you all are having here with Loretta :) #womensupportingwomen <3

2. Loretta Sayers July 9, 2018

Thank you, Christy for inviting me to share my social media journey!

1. Christy B July 9, 2018

My pleasure! Keep going and I’ll keep cheering for you :)

3. listeningtomylife7 July 9, 2018

Thank you for this post. I am new to social media as I am trying to find my niche. I have run into many of the pitfalls listed in this piece. It makes me feel better that I am on the right track and need to continue putting out the “words of wisdom” I have learned on my spiritual journey of healing.

1. Loretta Sayers July 9, 2018

It can be daunting at times, but just keep going!

4. Jheelam July 9, 2018

Thank you for this post. I was feeling quite disillusioned regarding my blogging journey lately. I needed this boost.

1. Loretta Sayers July 9, 2018

Blogging is such a full time job, all on its own! Social media can be so beneficial to get the word out!

5. Gallantly, gal July 9, 2018

Why would you ever eat an elephant?!! Haha just joshing. This post was a joy to read. I loved her voice :)

1. Loretta Sayers July 9, 2018

Ha! Right…and let me tell you, social media is a large elephant for sure! Thank you :-)

6. vinegar and vanilla July 9, 2018

Congratulations Loretta! I love hearing of each new success you share!

1. Loretta July 10, 2018

Thank you Jessica! This ride is a bumpy one for sure, but that just makes it more fun, right?

7. mihrank July 9, 2018

indeed – Christy – that is so powerful, creative and amazing

8. Marje @ Kyrosmagica July 9, 2018

Thank you for introducing me to Loretta will pop over to check out her social media. :)

1. Loretta Sayers July 10, 2018

Hi Marje! Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoy my blog.

2. Marje @ Kyrosmagica July 11, 2018

Hi Loretta. My pleasure. :)

9. The Laughable Baker July 10, 2018

I think what you have achieved is impressive, and also inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

1. Loretta July 10, 2018

10. Ben Aqiba July 10, 2018

Thank you Christy and thank you Loreta. That was great story with great answers!

1. Loretta Sayers July 10, 2018

Thanks Ben. Glad you enjoyed it. Social media can be so crazy…but it’s fun too.

11. Amy July 10, 2018

Oh my goodness this is a fantastic post! So inspiring and encouraging! Thank you for sharing! Your candor and authenticity is so empowering!

1. Loretta July 10, 2018

Thank you so much Amy! I truly apprecite that :-)

12. robbiecheadle July 10, 2018

I really don’t know how I have managed to avoid some of these pitfalls but I haven’t had this sort of issue with Instagram. I don’t have that many followers though so maybe that is why. Good advice on what not to do.

1. Loretta July 10, 2018

Hopefully you continue on the smooth path. As soon as I hit 1,000 followers, the creepy guys came out of the woodwork! I know it’s just part of the IG world, but it does get annoying. Good luck Robbie!

13. Jodie July 10, 2018

It certainly isn’t easy, but you do meet some fabulous women along the way. Loretta is one of those women.
    XOXO
    Jodie

1. Loretta July 10, 2018

Jodie, thank you. That is absolutely the best part of this online world….the opportunity to meet so many amazing, inspiring, uplifting and creative women, like you.

14. Amy Caudill July 10, 2018

Very interesting and inspiring, Christy and Loretta! Thanks for sharing!

1. Loretta Sayers July 10, 2018

Thank you Amy. We have to make it fun in this social media world, right?

15. dgkaye July 10, 2018

Thanks to Loretta for this insightful post! :) <3

1. Loretta Sayers July 10, 2018

You are so welcome! And thank you for reading, glad you enjoyed it :-)

2. dgkaye July 11, 2018

A pleasure Loretta. :)

16. Karen July 10, 2018

Yes, the key is likeminded people. And I think I’m a match for your group! Thanks for the post, cheers.

1. Loretta Sayers July 11, 2018

So glad you are Karen! I’m closing in on 4000 followers and hope to make it by my one year blog anniversary, July 15th!

17. divorceunder30 July 11, 2018

Awesome. It’s so cool to see such a large #womeninspiringwomen community

18. Angie July 11, 2018

Love your initiative and commitment. Inspiring. I think pretty pictures help, storytelling pictures from wherever you are. Not the ones with tripods and photographers. I wrote about my Iphone tricks, astonished how many women didn’t do this yet.

1. Loretta Sayers July 12, 2018

Thank you Angie.

19. That’s impressive for one year of blogging. It takes time, but if you are persistent, it pays off.

1. Loretta Sayers July 12, 2018

Thank you Rebecca. I do put a lot of time into it!

20. Abrarul Haque July 12, 2018

Does Facebook boost get u more traffic

1. Loretta Sayers July 12, 2018

I’m not sure. I don’t ever do a Facebook boost.