The C-Word: A Woman’s Guide To Staying Healthy

See a doctor re cancer prevention

Take steps as a woman to reduce the chances of developing cancer. Photo by agllemktg1, Public Domain, via Flickr.

When you hear the word cancer, it is likely to send a shiver down the spine. Not only is it a potential risk for every woman, but lots of people have had experience of the C-word. One thing women can agree on is that no one wants to have to deal with it in their future. Of course, there is no foolproof way to prevent the onset of cancer, not yet. Still, there are ways to reduce the risk and lower the chances of developing the disease in a general sense. If you want to find out more, take a look at the following. This is a woman’s guide to the C-word and staying healthy.

Schedule Regular Checkups

Regardless of what you read, there is no better way to prevent cancer than to consult a medical professional. Whether you eat broccoli and stay away from cigarettes and alcohol doesn’t matter. Even then, there is a chance that it might strike. The good news is there are treatments that can save lives. If you want to learn more, you can go to this web-site. But, one thing you must know is that only a medical professional can sanction a treatment. With regular checkups, you can put your conscience at ease, or you can tackle the problem head-on.

Cut Out The Dangers

People want to live their life and have a good time. Drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes is a big part of the process for lots of individuals. No one begrudges a person having fun because life is too short. However, it will get shorter if you don’t realize that these bad habits are affecting your health. Everyone knows about the link between cigarette smoke and cancer, but alcohol is just as dangerous. By consuming more than the 14 prescribed units, your chances of developing the disease increase two-fold. According to mayoclinic.org, it’s crucial to limit alcohol to one drink and cut out cigarettes altogether.

Be Proactive

There are so many different types that it’s almost impossible to keep up with every single one. So, being proactive is about talking to an expert on a regular basis as much as anything else. However, there are ways to prevent being reactive without going to a doctor’s surgery. Feeling for lumps, for example, is an effective way to self-diagnose breast cancer. It might be nothing, but a lump is always worth a second opinion. The same goes for a new mole.

Stay Out Of The Sun

Yeah, like that’s going to happen now! Okay, September isn’t a month you’d associate with soaring temperatures. Now that it is autumn, staying out of the sun isn’t difficult. Still, May will soon come around and the mercury will rise once again. When this happens, don’t fall into the “tan trap.” Women love to get tan and bronze their skin, but too much radiation can lead to skin cancer. Even now, there is enough UV radiation to warrant using protection such as a hat and gloves.

If you follow this advice, you can reduce the risk of the C-word.

1. Superduque777 September 27, 2017

Nothing in the world so beautiful as a woman painting hopes

2. BeckiesMentalMess.wordpress.com September 27, 2017

Good Afternoon, I truly need to take better care of myself. I think for me, it’s the fear of the unknown that holds me back. I honestly don’t know why I do that to myself.

3. Karen Ingalls September 27, 2017

I agree with the advice given, but would add one thing. Listen to your body. When something is different or unusual, seek medical advice.

4. Mrs.S LDN September 27, 2017

Totally agree but defiantly a lot easier said than done!! Esp booking check ups! I’m so bad at this! We need to take better care of ourselves for sure!! xx

5. Resa September 27, 2017

Good advice on the regular tests and check ups. No matter how healthy one’s lifestyle is, heredity plays a role. We can’t buy new genes!

6. Jill Weatherholt September 27, 2017

Great advice here, Christy! With the internet, people have a tendency to feel they can self-diagnose, rather than seeing a professional.

7. Swati Awana September 27, 2017

Very helpful. I always believe prevention is better than cure. Thanks for sharing!☺☺

8. Baydreamer September 27, 2017

Great advice, Christy! As to the sun, I used to lay out for a little bit each day just to get a little color. But, in 2009, my hubby had melanoma – fortunately, it was caught early, so it didn’t spread. Now, though, he has to have regular check-ups and my tanning stopped. In fact, I decided that I’d rather be bright white than chance getting melanoma. Anyway, I’ve done my share of damage as a teen and hope that doesn’t come back to haunt me now in my fifties. I also believe in prevention and listening to our bodies for anything unusual…xx

9. Megala September 28, 2017

Great share ! Nowadays everybody is scared of this word !

10. queenmouse September 28, 2017

So many members of my family have cancer but it is not impossible to deal with. Just a little at a time and try and stay on top of your health. Make healthy choices because every choice matters

11. dawnwairimu September 28, 2017

This advice is spot on. I like the one about the sun — i know I’m guilty of not always applying sunscreen, but it is so important!

12. Jeri Walker (@JeriWB) September 29, 2017

One of my friends who is 37 recently had a patch of skin on her arm and some lymph nodes removed due to skin cancer. Luckily, it hadn’t spread. She’s an avid hiker, but has always worn sunscreen. When talking to me about it, she shrugged her head in slight disgust over people she knows who have been sunbathing for years and have not developed cancer yet. In my case, I’m looking at ways to reduce the chance of my cancer recurring. This involves transitioning to a low-fat low-calorie diet. I’ve never smoked, but lots of research links breast cancer to alcohol use. Drinking is more risky for cancer-receptive hormones, which mine isn’t. In any case, I am cutting back on how much I drink, but not entirely.

13. macjam47 October 1, 2017

Great advice, Christy. I wear sunscreen year-round. I always have, but today’s sunscreens are so much better than they were even when my children were young. That was when they first started putting the SPF on the bottle but they were 2, 4, 8. Practically worthless. Today I use a sunscreen of 50.