Avoiding the Gym? How to Get Your Fitness Back on Track

Even if you want to get fit, there might be a few reasons that you haven’t quite got around to it yet. Read on for some possible reasons why you’re avoiding the gym – and how you can overcome those challenges to get back to fitness.

Not Enough Time

A chronic lack of time is a problem for many women. We live in a very busy world so it’s no wonder that’s an issue. We balance full-time jobs with long commutes, family responsibilities, social lives, healthy relationships and marriages, our parents’ needs as they get older, and, of course, our children. So, when we do get some free time, a lot of us don’t want to spend it at Cross Fit.

If that’s the case for you, it could be time to start figuring out what exactly your priorities are as fitness is so important. When you feel your best, mentally and physically, then you’re able to give more to others around you.

But, how do you carve out that extra time? It’ll depend on your lifestyle, schedule, family, and more. Maybe you could get up a little earlier to do half an hour of yoga in the morning. Or, talk to your partner so that you get a free evening from childcare to go to a zumba class.

Back exercises before get back to the gym for her

She squeezes exercise into her day – literally. Pexels, CC0 License.

Old Injuries are Why You’re Avoiding the Gym

If you have old injuries then you might be avoiding the gym. It could be that spinning hurt your knees, you have old shin splints from too much running, or you might have had injuries from team sports that you don’t want to end up reliving.

If old injuries are an issue for you, then it’s time to find something that works for your body. If you have painful knees, for example, try swimming, where the water will support your joints and make sure that you don’t get too sore.

Also, talk to your doctor; the best shoulder surgeons can alleviate or lessen the shoulder pain you get from playing tennis or another activity. And they might be able to figure out the cause of that persistent back pain that stops you doing everything you want in life.

Women and Sports Injuries

Time for her to workout.

No Motivation

For a lot of us, the reason for avoiding the gym is a lack of motivation. Who wants to spend ages on an exercise bike when you could be watching your favorite TV show or hanging out with your friends? If that’s an issue for you, then it’s time to find a sport or way of exercising that you like doing regularly.

For example, you might hate treadmills but love running in the countryside because of the fantastic views. Traditional gyms aren’t for everyone. But as soon as you find what activity you love, you’ll have the motivation to get off the couch. Yup, that’s you getting back on the fitness bandwagon!

Exercise time, after the injury has healed

Avoiding the gym? Traditional gyms aren’t for everyone. Get fit doing an activity you love, in a supportive atmosphere, whatever that looks like.

Avoiding the Gym Because of Low Confidence

Finally, not everyone feels confident enough about themselves to walk into a fitness club and start lifting weights. If you’re a little overweight and out of shape and worried about it, remember that everyone at a gym was there at some point. If that self-conscious part of you is the reason for avoiding the gym, then read this statement:

It isn’t where you are now, it’s the journey that you’re about to take that matters.

To stop avoiding the gym because of poor self-confidence, begin by investing in good quality gym wear that you feel comfortable wearing for workouts. That gear includes quality footwear and a supportive sports bra. Also, make sure that you get someone to show you around the gym. They’ll explain what the machines all do before you start using them to lower your risk of injury.

Wishing you all the best! Lastly, make sure you see your doctor before making changes to your workout routine. That way you take proper care of your unique and beautiful body.

1. Tony Burgess June 26, 2017

I went to Zumba tonight with a bum shoulder. Hadn’t been in a month because life got in the way. It was good to get back.

1. Christy B June 28, 2017

Glad you went back! Zumba really works up a sweat!

2. Aquileana June 26, 2017

So true….working out at home is a good option to… for lazy ones like me :D … or in case you want to do it later during the day (like in my case: during the evening or night). Good series of posts here; Chris… Hugs to you :D

1. Christy B June 28, 2017

You’re far from lazy, Aqui. I like having the flexibility to exercise when I can work it into my schedule as I am self-employed. A benefit, right? Glad you’re incorporating fitness into your life as I want you to stay healthy for a loooooong time to come, dear friend! :) <3

3. thegooddose June 26, 2017

I enjoy working out at home, more convenient with children!

1. Christy B June 28, 2017

You keep at it!! :)

2. Tanya June 28, 2017

Trying!! 🚴🏼‍♀️🙂

3. Christy B June 30, 2017

:) :)

4. Never Ending Adventures June 26, 2017

I think my #1 problem is im just lazy, and that is all honesty lol, its hard when you work 3rd shift! Great post though! :)

1. MelHopkinsdotcom June 28, 2017

I used to work as a flight attendant so I can commiserate with you about 3rd shift …one thing that helped me was to turn everything into a work out.. I’d answer the call button more often because it forced me to walk about and down the aisle.. I’d visit the gym in the hotel – (even if I didn’t use the equipment LOL) but at least the walk to the gym made me feel guilty enough sometime to spend on the treadmill. I’d use the stairs in the subway (carrying all my bag, rollaboard etc… you get the idea. Make the world your gym! :D

5. Megala June 27, 2017

Motivating post! Thanks for sharing!

6. Annika Perry June 27, 2017

These are all true and I found myself in every category!! 😀😃 Having gone to gyms a lot in my 20s I felt burnt out with them and then an old shoulder pain would recur whenever I went back…sometimes it’s just time to find something new! Pilates, some yoga and lots of walking inspires me and keeps me motivated and uninjured! I’m tempted by Zumba…😀

1. Christy B June 28, 2017

Zumba is great, Annika, because it’s all about movement. It’s like dancing – and it’s a great group atmosphere. I hope you try it at least once :)

7. indianeskitchen June 27, 2017

This is a wake up call. I have bad knees for 20 years. I just had one knee replaced so time to get real and get back in shape. Thanks for the eye opener!

1. Christy B June 28, 2017

The great thing is you can make it as simple or difficult as you like as you’re in charge of the exercise routine :) I wish you all the best with your health journey!

8. milliethom June 27, 2017

Four very good reasons for avoiding the gym, Christy. I spent years going to the gym, but now my knees object like mad if I do any exercise that involves bending them, like rowing or cycling. I just overdid things at the gym, I suppose, and my knees got worse and worse. I can’t jog for long now and climbing up steps is agony. So I stick to my swimming a few times a week and make sure I walk a few miles every day.
    I can understand why working mothers would find it hard to fit visits to the gym into their routines, but, as you say, there are ways to get round that. But it’s just too easy to sit and relax after a hectic day and that’s when motivation often needs a nudge. Interesting post, Christy. :D

1. Christy B June 28, 2017

Millie, I admire how you didn’t give up and instead found swimming to be a great way to exercise without aggravating your knees. Great! Thanks for sharing your experiences :)

9. Wm. Allen June 27, 2017

Very encouraging

10. shehannemoore June 27, 2017

Gyms? What gym?

11. vivachange77 June 27, 2017

I really like walking even with an arthritic knee. Being outside perks me up.

1. Christy B June 28, 2017

The fresh air does wonders for the spirit! Have a nice walk soon :)

12. dgkaye June 29, 2017

Loved the first line, so appropriate – chronic lack of time. But I at least try to get in 20 minutes 3 times a week at my worst. :) xx

1. Christy B June 30, 2017

Your “worst” is better than what many people are doing so I am cheering you on, Debby!

2. dgkaye June 30, 2017

Lol, thanks Christy. <3

13. Fabi Blogger June 30, 2017

When I started working out, I decided to do it at home because of lack of time (it took too long to drop off the kids somewhere) and because of lack of confidence. I also didn’t like the thought of being around people’s sweat lol ;) So I decided to work out at home. So far, it’s been great!

-Fabi

1. Christy B July 2, 2017

Hi Fabi, you’re doing awesome with your workouts, as I just read about on your blog. Keep it up ((cheering you on))

14. Amy Caudill July 4, 2017

I grew up near the Great Smoky Mountains, and my favorite fitness activity was always hiking. I don’t live anywhere near the mountains now, so the next best thing is the local public parks, which fortunately have a number of walking trails. In good weather, I’m out there several times a week, enjoying nature and sweating up a storm.

1. Christy B July 4, 2017

Awesome! You’re enjoying nature AND getting a workout, without spending any money :) Win-win-win!!

15. Louise July 6, 2017

I go in waves with fitness – sometimes I’m highly motivated – other times – meh. In the meh times I have my “better than nothing” activities – walking home from work and reading on an elliptical. But I bought new runners today – so I’m hopeful I’m on an upswing!

1. Christy B July 8, 2017

New runners is very exciting ~ good motivation xx

16. trendsandrelations July 24, 2017

This is such a good and detailed read- you’re so right! Sometimes it’s hard to find the motivation but once you start hitting the gym daily, it’s a life changer!

1. Christy B July 24, 2017

It’s about finding the right type of exercise for you ~ and then you’ll be more likely to keep going with it :) Let’s go :)