Alternative Exercise Benefits for Mental Health and Body

Scientific studies continue to show that exercising is good for both mind and body.  People who exercise at least once a day for at least 30-45 minutes enjoy benefits in physical wellness, as well as emotional and mental wellness. However, if you cannot perform high impact, aerobic exercises, consider low impact exercises like yoga or Pilates instead. Take part in these exercises by joining a community fitness center, the yoga studio Bee Cave or a local Alive + Well program. Find the alternative exercise benefits for mental health and body below.

Disclosure: This sponsored post is really coming at a great time because I was just thinking about how I could share with you about how to improve mind and body through exercise for the New Year.

Reap Exercise Benefits for Mental Health and Emotional Balance

Yoga is designed not only to strengthen the core of your body but also the mind and spirit. This alternative exercise to the gym involves a series of stretches and gentle moves. They may not look all that difficult. In reality, however, they are enough of a challenge to make you focus on the movements and breathing during them.

In fact, it is this focus on the breath that encourages yoga’s benefits for mental health and emotional health. Scientific studies show that people who do yoga regularly are at a lower risk of suffering from mental health issues like anxiety and depression. Even if they suffer from these illnesses, people may not experience them as intensely. And sometimes they need less medication to treat symptoms.

Further, people who do yoga often feel more in tune with their bodies and more confident in their physical capabilities. They many times gain a stronger core that allows them to progress in their exercising journey. Even if they do not lose a lot of weight doing yoga, they still gain strength and become more fit. Those are major reasons why yoga is a favorite way for women to spend the little free time they have during the day or evening.

Enjoy Yoga’s Physical Benefits Too

People who do yoga also enjoy physical benefits, such as:

• Greater flexibility
  • Better range of motion

This alternative exercise can especially benefit people with arthritis or lower back pain. The movements help bring those parts of the body back into alignment and also help stretch ligaments, tendons, and muscles. Therefore, people are less likely to sustain injuries.

Alternative Exercise Benefits Who, Exactly?

You do not have to be a fitness expert to do yoga. Likewise, you needn’t be in best physical shape for this activity or for alternative exercise benefits for mental health. And for body. People who are in wheelchairs or who use walkers can also do yoga; in their case it’s from a sitting position. Lastly, even pregnant women can do certain yoga poses and gain the rewards for mind and body, after getting clearance from their doctor.

Are you a yoga fan? My fiancé does Hot Yoga classes – would you consider doing that too?

1. Minnu December 22, 2018

A great piece to read. 😌

1. Christy B December 23, 2018

Glad the yoga tips are helpful!

2. Lisa Orchard December 22, 2018

I love Yoga. I’m always so relaxed and aware at the same time when I’m done. :)

1. Christy B December 23, 2018

Oh how wonderful that you get that sense of awareness from your yoga sessions, Lisa!

3. Pete December 23, 2018

I go past a yoga studio every day to work & back & have considered going in & inquiring but I still find biking hard off road helps my head & calms me

1. Christy B December 23, 2018

You might try that yoga studio one day, Pete… In the meantime keep biking ~ and be safe, gosh darn it!!

4. Dave Small December 25, 2018

Great post Christy. It’s been over eight years since I began doing yoga. It’s become part of my morning routine and I would say it’s changed my life mentally and physically.

1. Christy B January 12, 2019

How wonderful that yoga has brought these mind and body benefits to your life, Dave!

5. RJ December 25, 2018

A yoga fan 👋🏽… thanks for this piece!

1. Christy B January 12, 2019

Woohoo, great to have you here RJ!

6. carolyncordon December 26, 2018

A great post, mindful breathing too is good, paying actual attention to the air coming in and out of your body, easy and slow, is a beautiful way to connect with your own body. When you connect like this, you may begin to understanding the reason whay you must be kind to yourself, and stop any abuse you are doing through smoking, or eating/drinking too much and of the wrong things.

1. Christy B January 12, 2019

I love what you write about being kind to yourself, Carolyn :)

7. howikilledbetty December 28, 2018

I absolutely know that exercise makes me feel wonderful and is such a powerful tool. Great post. Thanks. Katie

1. Christy B January 12, 2019

And thank YOU Katie for being here supporting this post on exercise for mental health. Wishing you a great weekend :)

2. howikilledbetty January 13, 2019

Thanks! I love exercise, it’s just a bit chilly at the moment … had a lovely long walk today though, although it wasn’t exactly testing. I’ll try harder!

3. Christy B January 15, 2019

I wear fleece lined leggings outside and they seem to help with keeping me a bit cozier. Cheering you on!

4. howikilledbetty January 15, 2019

Oooh they sound gorgeous!! I want!

8. mskayleejt January 1, 2019

I have learned that yoga has helped my bipolar and anxiety significantly. I love reading about it.

1. Christy B January 4, 2019

I’m so glad to hear that yoga has helped ease your mind. May your day be a peaceful one.

9. baileypetrucelli January 2, 2019

Practicing yoga has changed my life. I started in college and have continued to do it throughout my pregnancy. My body feel so much less tight and I feel less stressed. I feel like i am a different person and react differently in certain situations. I’m a calmer and more optimistic person now 🧘🏼‍♀️👌🏼

1. Christy B January 12, 2019

How wonderful to read about the mental and physical transformation that yoga has brought to your life! Congratulations on the upcoming birth :)

2. baileypetrucelli January 12, 2019

Awe thank you!

10. Dr. Grewal January 8, 2019

Great piece!

1. Christy B January 12, 2019

Thanks, hearing that from a doctor is a big compliment!

11. Saguren January 9, 2019

Exercise really does boost mental wellbeing. Great post.

1. Christy B January 12, 2019

The mental benefits are amazing!

12. mahimajalan January 10, 2019

Really an uplifting post! Lovely message 🤗

1. Christy B January 12, 2019

Great to hear that! Yoga provides a gentle alternative exercise for mental health that many people can do and enjoy too :)

13. myhealthm211 January 19, 2019

I just started a workout routine in June of 2018 and I absolutely love the way I feel afterward. I was not too happy to get my butt kicked by my trainer but I noticed I felt really good afterward.

1. Christy B January 25, 2019

Great to hear you’re getting back at it in the New Year! Remember that the trainer has your best interests in mind and that’ll help you persevere :D

14. Manisha Sareen January 20, 2019

I just did yoga! It was amazing – thank you for posting!

1. Christy B January 25, 2019

Woohoo! Sounds like this post was well-timed :)

15. Lauren January 20, 2019

I’m a big yoga fan because I’ve reaped the benefits myself. I remember feeling mentally more relaxed the first time doing it. Plus, I was able to relive pain from areas that were giving me problems (hips, low back, shoulders). Yoga is definitely my go-to for when I’m aching since it requires no appointment with a massage therapist or chiropractor. (I still see them on a regular, but the yoga helps me not need them as often.)

1. Christy B January 25, 2019

I totally get what you mean, Lauren. A woman I know runs regularly and offsets any aches connected with that activity by doing yoga. She said to me that saves her a ton of money rather than going to chiropractors or massage therapy ;)

16. yorhealthdenniswong January 22, 2019

Thanks for sharing.

1. Christy B January 22, 2019

Great you appreciate the health tips!

17. goodiebagshopper January 24, 2019

Walking several miles a day plus a cardio fitness class has created a new me. I agree exercise can make a positive change.

1. Christy B January 25, 2019

Great to hear you’re feeling great! That sounds like a terrific workout plan.

18. I absolutely LOVE yoga 🤗

1. Christy B January 29, 2019

Woot! Hot yoga? My partner loves that.

19. Aderounke Sanusi February 1, 2019

I love yoga but I don’t do yoga. I’d rather walk round the house and do the chores as exercise.

1. Christy B February 1, 2019

Housework absolutely burns calories!

20. Madeline Johnson February 9, 2019

Hot yoga, long walks, cycling. . . movement frees my mind.

1. Christy B February 9, 2019

Wonderful! My fiance loves hot yoga – it sounds like quite the experience! Wishing you a great next yoga session, Madeline :)

21. blurredlinesuk February 12, 2019

Yoga is definitely a good shout. I practised Tai Chi as I have had a bad back and found that very useful as well. Good read

1. Christy B February 13, 2019

Great to hear you’ve found back pain minimal with Tai Chi!

2. blurredlinesuk February 13, 2019

Much obliged!

3. Christy B February 14, 2019

Take care :)

22. mrchristianchavez February 14, 2019

I’ve recently started a morning routine which includes some physical and mental exercise and I can’t tell you how much it’s helped my outlook throughout the day! Thanks for posting :)

1. Christy B February 15, 2019

That sounds like a wonderful way to start your day!!

2. mrchristianchavez February 15, 2019

Thank you! It’s definitely been a positive shift in my life :)

3. Christy B February 19, 2019

:D :D

23. Brenda Sue February 15, 2019

Thank you for encouraging people to do whatever they can to be active. Good post!

1. Christy B February 19, 2019

Great to hear that you consider it motivation – keep moving and smiling :)

24. Kristie Konsoer March 3, 2019

I always feel better when I exercise. Yoga is something I continue to aspire to incorporate into my other activities.

1. Christy B March 4, 2019

Wonderful. Today I went for a walk and my back felt a lot better for it, as did my mind :)

25. Laney March 11, 2019

yoga really does wonders for mental health :) really enjoyed your post

1. Christy B March 12, 2019

Right?!! Thanks Laney :)

26. nayspective March 14, 2019

I’m gonna share your article on my support group.

1. Christy B March 14, 2019

Appreciative!

27. diaryofa21stcenturygirll March 18, 2019

Yoga helped me a lot, if other exercise isn’t anyones thing. I has helped me a lot. xo

1. Christy B March 19, 2019

Great to hear you have found yoga so enjoyable!

28. Piyush Choudhary March 22, 2019

You know people usually take their mental health for granted initially and when things get really worse they start working on it.
    Being a Mental Health Advocate, it cringes me when I get cases where people undergo stress, anxiety, depression, trauma, and mental illness!
    My best piece of advice to them is start working on your emotions and then I help them to get out of their mental health illness and eventually reduce their stigma!

We all experience mental health struggle at some point in our lives and to improve one’s mental health, I’ve written an article, where I’ve covered 7 Emotions to take care of if you have to improve your mental health.

Have a great day!

1. Christy B March 22, 2019

Thanks for sharing your advice here in this comment and over at your blog. It’s only through speaking up that change can happen. Let’s keep the conversations going to wipe out the mental health stigma.

2. Piyush Choudhary March 22, 2019

Surely! People like you who are inspiring women and men too: are doing a fantastic job at their blogs and being responsible global citizens we should care and make them aware.

3. Christy B March 24, 2019

Thank you so much for the kindness of your words. I wish you all the best as a fellow activist!

29. elly March 25, 2019

Love this!! Yoga is so helpful!

1. Christy B March 26, 2019

Cheering!

30. insanelondon March 28, 2019

I love doing yoga at home. Very good

1. Christy B March 30, 2019

Great, keep up the yoga poses!

31. Mya Taylor March 30, 2019

You know, sometimes the Universe presents things to us and we don’t pay attention the way we should. I’ve been considering trying yoga for years and am seeing its benefits a little better after reading your post. Particularly, in regard to emotional health as well as physical! Thanks for sharing this information. Following!

1. Christy B April 28, 2019

Hi Mya, this post was well-timed for you to read it, by the sounds of it ;) I hope you enjoy your yoga sessions.

32. sarahwrotesomething April 14, 2019

Hello! Yoga is one of my favourite things to do for my self care. But, recently I got seduced by the idea of hitting the pavement…I wrote something about how my journey has started, and highlighted a barrier that I wasn’t expecting to encounter – sometimes we hold ourselves back. I hope you like!

1. Christy B April 15, 2019

I loved your poem, Sarah. You wrote about finding your muscles in your legs again, yes! I hope you have a good time running this week :)

33. thelevinelowdown April 26, 2019

Wonderful post, thank you for sharing! I wrote something very similar on my blog about the relationship between mental health and physical activity. I would love to hear what you think

1. Christy B April 28, 2019

It’s great that there’s more attention now to mental health in the blogging world.

2. thelevinelowdown April 28, 2019

It is such an important topic and the more we talk about it, the better it will get.

3. Christy B April 29, 2019

More awareness and understanding is a good thing, for sure.

34. depressedbadbtch May 3, 2019

yoga seems like such a great exercise but I always have this issue: I cannot afford to go to a studio.. so how do I do it at home (and make sure my form is correct)?!