Follow These Steps to Discover the Best Mattress for Your Body

As a general rule of thumb, it is claimed that we spend about one-third of our lives in bed. That is a lot of time if you think about it. So, why settle for second best? You definitely wouldn’t do that when you’re choosing your life partner or when you are buying a car or a house. In those situations, we conduct some serious due diligence to come to the perfect conclusion.

And the same should apply when choosing your mattress because let’s face it the bed is where we hang out the most. Fortunately, the mattress buying process is not as tedious as it once was. There are mattress shops on almost every corner and if you can’t muster the gumption to go to one – hey – no problem – shop online.

But that is not to say that trying to decide what is right for you is easy. Au contraire. With ample choice comes even more decisions, and that can be difficult for many of us. It’s one of the reasons the most successful food service concepts keep their menus to a bare minimum – remove too much choice and help the customer decide.

Having said all of that, let’s have a look at some steps to help you navigate your way through the mattress minefield to find something that suits your body.

The choices of beds can seem overwhelming

Getting the best mattress for your body is easier with this helpful guide. Photo via Pixabay.

Who are you and what are your preferences?

You’ve been sleeping on a mattress since the day you were born, so you definitely know what’s right for you. Take this knowledge of whether you prefer soft, medium or hard surfaces and scour the market for the best brands and models.

Information is key

Visit reputable websites like https://www.topmattress.com to get as much information as you can before heading out of the house and into the galaxy of mattresses. We all know that the universe is infinite and the same could almost apply to mattresses.

If you used the same mattress for the last ten years and want a change, you will discover that apart from the all-pervasive spring mattress, there are also latex and memory foam versions that are very popular. Latex is great if you like springy and soft, and memory foam if you are a side sleeper or want to reduce pressure on the hips and shoulders.

Choose where you want to go shopping

With more than 12,000 specialty mattress stores nationwide, it shouldn’t be difficult to find something that fits your tastes. One of the pros of going for a bricks-and-mortar strategy is that you get to test the mattress before buying it. You and your partner can make a day out of going to different stores and lying down on various sleeping surfaces until you make your mind up. And when you have, don’t forget to haggle. Mattresses have huge markups so you will be able to bring down the asking price.

Go online. Thanks to trial periods and in some cases same day delivery, you can opt for the click and buy option and order via the internet. There are some brands out there like Tuft & Needle or Casper that even deliver the mattress in a box. This is stress-free, and you can do the testing in the comfort of your home. Remember, you can’t negotiate the price though.

A tip to help you on your way

It is safe to say that the research stage is the most crucial part of your buying process. Hint: Make use of the trial period – all online brands offer this to win customers. If you opt to buy in a store, be sure to ask the salesperson what the return policy is.

1. AmyRose🌹 April 13, 2018

Memory foam is my choice. I won’t ever go back to a spring mattress. Great information, Christy. I have back issues so yes buying a good mattress is extremely important!! 🌸

2. Mish Mash Lifestyle Blog April 13, 2018

Great information! I love my Casper mattress!

3. InspiresN April 13, 2018

great compilation and it is important to choose what works out for each one !

4. Awotunde Fikayo Ruth April 14, 2018

5. cardsclinic April 14, 2018

Grt

6. Shilpa Garg April 14, 2018

We bought our mattresses eons ago. Need to replace them Thanks for these helpful tips and information, Christy!

7. Loretta April 14, 2018

I am a fan of memory foam. I purchased a top of the line memory foam mattress almost 15 years ago, and we are just now ready for a new one!

1. Christy B April 15, 2018

Nice! I hope you enjoy the new mattress when you get it – You’ve overcome a bit hurdle already by knowing what kind of mattress you prefer.

8. Plantsandbeyond April 14, 2018

Interesting info, esp the mattress website. Will check when ready to buy it.

9. Sohair April 14, 2018

Great post …go ahead Christy..

10. smilecalm April 14, 2018

i’m ready to go
    back to bed!
    thanks Christy :-)

11. Doctor Jonathan April 14, 2018

Great advice. People have no idea how important QUALITY sleep is. Investing in a good mattress is making an investment in the quality of one’s life. This is one more purchase that shows whether an individual truly VALUES themselves.

1. Christy B April 15, 2018

It really is about self-worth, as you indicate, Doctor Jonathan. Great comment.

12. dgkaye April 14, 2018

Oh I could write many stories on my mattress mishaps and purchases, lol. But it’s crucial to try out the mattress in a store and keep that warranty!!!! I’ve sent back 3 mattress in the last 20 years. Two were easy tasks, one was a nightmare where I had to threaten the manufacturer, but it worked LOL. <3

13. Micki Allen April 14, 2018

When I was pregnant with my twins — 12 years ago — my sweet husband bought me the Bentley (IMHO) of beds, my beloved king-size SleepNumber. It’s served us SOOO well over the years. When we finally retire it, I can’t imagine buying anything else. Great tips and advice, as always, Christy! xox

1. Christy B April 16, 2018

How wonderful that you’ve found a bed that works so well for you, Micki. That’s a great referral for SleepNumber!

14. OIKOS™-Redaktion April 15, 2018

Always my pleasure Christy! I have to thank you for the best information ever. Michael

1. Christy B April 15, 2018

So kind!

2. OIKOS™-Redaktion April 15, 2018

;-)

15. andrea34m April 16, 2018

It sounds like things work a bit different with mattresses where you live! Online isn’t big in the UK, and seems to be limited to memory foam. I bought a memory foam mattress a few years ago… but it’s developed Alzheimer’s at this stage, and I’m not happy with it. Very soon I’ll likely to be buying one that I tried out in a showroom that has both coils and then covered with a thick gel supportive memory layer, the manufacturer will let you change within 30 days for a different type of mattress of theirs if one is not happy with the initial choice, and then that’s it. Unless there is an actual fault, then it isn’t feasible to return a mattress here :-(

1. Christy B April 16, 2018

Oh wow, it DOES sound quite different, Andrea! Thanks for telling me more about how it all works in the UK. Good that you’ve tried the one out in the showroom that you’re looking seriously at for the future. I think that’s vital to getting the right bed.

16. thelonelyauthorblog April 16, 2018

Good post. And timely for me, since I will be shopping for a new bed soon. Thanks

1. Christy B April 16, 2018

Great to hear that, my friend.

17. Amy Caudill April 17, 2018

We’re crazy about our sleep number bed. My husband and I can set our sides separately so we’re both happy.