Learn to Love Your Legs – Finally!

Every woman has her favorite parts of her body. But if you’re like most females then there are probably also some areas that you’re less enthusiastic about, such as your legs. If you’re self-conscious about this part of your body, it could be because of a few problems you experience with them. Here are some very common leg hang ups that most women have, including varicose veins, and what you can do about them. Make this the year that you finally love your legs!

Body Hair

One of the main problems that women have to deal with is all the body hair that grows on the legs. Many females prefer to completely remove this hair, but you shouldn’t feel pressured into removing it if you don’t want to do so.

There are many ways you can tackle leg hair, including shaving and waxing the skin. But for longer-lasting removal, you might be better off investing in an epilator to remove the strands at their roots for longer-lasting hair removal.

Varicose Veins

With aging comes the development of varicose veins on the backs of many women’s legs. Varicose veins can be unsightly, and most women try to keep them covered with pants or stockings.

You will probably hear lots of old wives’ tales about what causes varicose veins. However, some of these stories can be contradictory. For instance, some people believe you develop them from sitting down for too long while others will say that standing for long periods causes them! But the truth is no one knows. However, there are professionals who specialize in varicose vein treatment. Give your local one a call to see if they provide a treatment for these ugly veins.

More Leg Hang Ups: Cellulite

Another condition that often becomes more visible the older you get is cellulite. It looks like crinkled skin. There are several ways to try and keep this condition at bay. Some women, for example, brush their legs with a loofah sponge while in the shower to help the fat spread evenly.

Also, cut down on smoking and alcohol to help reduce cellulite. Some women also claim that increasing their amount of weekly exercise can give the skin a smoother appearance.

Untoned Legs

Do your legs look less toned to you than they once did? Don’t worry, there are lots of quick solutions. And most of those quick fixes are exercises and stretches. For example, you might do some stretches and body toning workouts like yoga and Pilates. These activities work the muscles to help shape the legs so that they look much slimmer and sleeker.

Plenty of gyms hold exercise classes that you might want to sign up for, after you get your doctor’s approval to change up your workout routine. Alternatively, look online for exercise classes, such as the ones from Blogilates. YouTube also has a lot of fitness videos.

In conclusion, it’s important to love the legs you’ve been given. After all, they are yours for life! Thankfully, all of the great tips and tricks above can help you lose your leg hang ups for good.

1. Mary Brearley August 5, 2017

I actually like my legs! They look good if I swim and although the veins thing is happening I happen to think we should give ourselves a break as we age!

1. Christy B August 5, 2017

Yes we wouldn’t hold other people up to our own strict standards of ourselves, right?! I am so glad you’re loving your legs, Mary

2. Mary Brearley August 5, 2017

They’re good legs! :-) you’ve take your body pleasure where you can!

3. Christy B August 5, 2017

True!! :)

2. Eliza Waters August 5, 2017

While I used to be more critical of my body when I was younger, I know now that we should love the body we are given. When I start to do that critical-eye thing, I stop and thank my legs for being strong and carrying me around faithfully all my life. Wow, the miles they’ve logged and the places they have taken me. They are good and faithful friends! I also think of those who have lost their legs or ability to walk– they would gladly accept mine– veins, cellulite and all. It helps to count my blessings.

3. richa pandey August 5, 2017

Again helpful tips from you 😊

4. Oh gosh I hate my legs haha they are so pasty and white! I do tan them but time is limited haha

5. The Thinker August 6, 2017

“shouldn’t feel pressured into removing it if you don’t want to” – soooo refreshing to read this. On the topic of varicose veins and their causes, one of the causes I have “heard” over the years is, crossing your legs. Not sure if it true or not or one of those “old wives tales”. Everyone should learn to understand and appreciate what they have been naturally provided with and manage it in a way that feels right for them as an individual person.

1. Christy B August 22, 2017

Wonderful comment about feeling content in one’s own skin! :)

2. The Thinker August 27, 2017

I guess, as with most, if not all things in life, it about making the best of, working with what you have been given, provided with.

3. Christy B August 29, 2017

It’s true, indeed.

6. My go-to Mindfulness August 6, 2017

I watched “Embrace” on Netflix the other day. It’s a documentary all about body image – definitely worth watching.

7. Jerry Peri August 6, 2017

Hey Christy, those are truly helpful tips and sure enough, a woman’s legs should be part of her treasured aesthetics.
    Know what? A lot of my friends and I see the hair on the legs and hands of women as very sexy!
    I nominated you for the Liebster Award & Blue Sky tag Award

8. Shilpa Garg August 6, 2017

Insightful post, Christy. Was not aware that beauty clinics can provide treatment for varicose veins. My mom’s friend has this and she has a lot of pain when she stands for long hours. Will check out for her in our area. Thanks for sharing.

9. karenringalls August 6, 2017

Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) has been my issue for me for several years. The doctor prescribed Ropinirole, which has helped a lot. I can now sleep all night without “busy legs” waking me up. As for how my legs look I am fine with them due to exercise and keeping my weight down.
    Good article, Christy.

10. macjam47 August 7, 2017

I’ve had varicose veins for years. About ten years ago, I had them treated with saline injections which lasted for just a short while. I went back for maintenance treatments for a couple of years, but the cost just wasn’t worth the results for me. It is very expensive and isn’t covered by insurance. They have come back with a vengeance and I’ve started using a bruise cream to treat the areas around the veins that have leaked and spread like dark bruises. So far I’m noticing a big difference but it’s going to take some time. It doesn’t, however, do anything for the veins themselves.

1. Christy B August 22, 2017

Hi Michelle, I hope you know that none of this takes away from your lovely spirit ~ and that what’s inside of us is waaaaay more important than whether we have varicose veins of not :) <3

2. macjam47 August 24, 2017

Thank you, Christie. They do bother me and it’s nice to have a reminder that they’re not important. Hugs, dear friend.

3. Christy B August 24, 2017

Hugging back!

11. Nell Rose August 7, 2017

I used to love my legs, but these days I have eczema on them and it drives me nuts! I have to constantly keep them covered, its such a shame as I love wearing short trousers.

1. Christy B August 7, 2017

Hi Nell, what an unexpected – and lovely – surprise to see you here! I hope that the eczema flareup goes away soon so you can show off those beautiful legs of yours :)

12. Resa August 7, 2017

I have many problems, but with all the walking I do, legs is not one. :D Have a great week ahead, Christy, and big hugs!

13. Amy Caudill August 11, 2017

I had always heard that there was a genetic component to varicose veins, that it ran in families. Does anyone know if this is true?

1. Christy B August 22, 2017

Good question Amy and the research does predominantly point toward verbose veins having a genetic component. I’m linking one of the studies here and thank you for bringing up the heredity factor! https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22308533