A lot of people don’t take back health seriously. Considering how important this part of the body is, that doesn’t make sense. You rely on your back to support a lot of your body. And, of course, it contains your spinal cord. While you may not feel the effects of treating your back incorrectly right now, over time you’ll likely realize what a mistake that was if you get back pain. To help you make the changes before it’s too late, this post offers some of the best furniture to preserve your back and maintain good posture.

Chairs for Better Back Health

To start, it’s good to think about the chairs that you use for long periods of time. If you sit at a desk, on a bed, or on the sofa for long periods of time, it’s important to make sure that you’re using the right tools to make it good for you back. There are loads of options out there to make chairs better for back health, though.

Among the cheapest options are wedges. Usually made from foam, these tools can help you to adjust your posture in any chair. If you’re willing to spend more, though, you could buy an entirely new chair. There are plenty of options out there that are designed not only to be good for you, but also to look good. So, you don’t have to worry about having to make compromises to the way your room looks.

In the Bedroom

Your bed is one of the most important parts of achieving better back health. But a lot of people fail to consider how much time they actually spend in bed. Often people sleep for about a third of their life!

Given this shocking statistic, the wrong bed can put a huge strain on your back. Thankfully, finding the best bed for you is just a matter of piecing the right things together. For the frame, you don’t have to worry too much as it’s more cosmetic than anything else.

Instead, your main focus ought to be on the mattress. Look at resources like Plushbed Mattress reviews to get a good idea of the available options. In general, make sure you get the best mattress while staying within your budget. Your back health is at stake here so spending time looking for a good mattress is worth it.

Standing desk for back care

A standing desk might be right for you. It can help your posture as you work.

Desks

Next, many people don’t realize that tables and desks can have a big impact on their back. If you use a desk regularly all day, it’s a good idea to look into options that can raise to standing height. This type of desk gives you the chance to spend some of the day standing, which is really good for better back health and posture.

Also, think about getting a footrest. By putting your feet into the proper body position, a quality footrest naturally forces your back into alignment. This tip is a great trick to help you with your posture while working away at home or an office elsewhere.

For Better Back Health

Hopefully, this post will help you to start working harder on the way you treat your back. Now you know that furniture can make a huge difference to your body, specifically your back health! Therefore, making the most of what you have is essential to have the best future possible.

1. ztevetevans June 23, 2017

Very good advice!

2. rollyachabotbooks June 23, 2017

Hi Christy
    As always right in line with what is happening… lol… as you know my back is not great.
    Excellent advice and yes the proper bed is so essential…

Hugs

3. Jet Eliot June 23, 2017

Great advice, Christy. As someone who endured and healed from a devastating back injury, I can honestly say the key, as you point out, is to be aware of your own comfort and the back support that suits you alone. A chair situation like in the first photo would set me into pain in one minute, not supportive enough. And so it goes with the back, we all have our own preferences. Great post.

1. Christy B June 24, 2017

Hi Jet, I hope we all get the support we need, physically and mentally :) A sore back can make life so much harder! I’m glad you found this post helpful. Enjoy your weekend!

4. The Coastal Crone June 23, 2017

Simple but so important. For older people it is even more important for getting up and down out of chairs/sofas that give support with arms or are firm. Too low and too soft and one cannot get up. And that desk chair is important for all of us.

1. Christy B June 24, 2017

Yes, the desk chair is especially important for us writers! We have to make a point to get up and stretch too. Thanks for the additional point about support for older people.

5. Invisibly Me June 23, 2017

Some really useful advice and things to think about here. I now use a memory foam pillow (a mini one) to put in the small of my back when sitting at my desk chair, but I think I should be looking at upgrading my mattress too ideally, and perhaps looking for a wedge like you mentioned for when sitting downstairs. I can feel a bit of window shopping coming on..! x

1. Christy B June 24, 2017

Take your time with the shopping and hope that it helps you get the support you need. I think by caring for ourselves better then we can improve how we help others xx

6. milfordstreet June 23, 2017

My posture is not the best. It could benefit from some improvement and the right chair would be a good start. Good post Christy. Cheers

7. Rajagopal June 24, 2017

Timely reminder, Christy, on an important aspect of bodily health. The key is to avoid sitting for too long periods. If such long sitting is necessary, to make sure that it is on a chair that supports the lumbar (lower back) region, and to ensure that sitting is punctuated by regular stand-ups, at hourly intervals. If these can also be topped up with twenty minutes of Yoga stretches constituted in ‘Surya Namaskar’ or Salutation to the Sun, it keeps not only the back but also all bodily joints in good order.

1. Christy B June 24, 2017

Great advice, Raj. I make it a habit to stretch throughout the day as my body doesn’t like having to sit all day ;) May you enjoy your yoga poses today!

8. John Fioravanti June 24, 2017

I’ve had lower back issues for 45 years – my best friend is my chiropractor – I think I put all of his kids through university! Your words are not lost on me, Christy!

1. Christy B June 26, 2017

Oh wow, then you can totally feel for my back pain at the moment.. I adjusted my chair as per a friend’s suggestion and am doing regular stretches.. I hope you’re feeling well today aside from our blip earlier over at WB ;)

2. John Fioravanti June 26, 2017

Back pain is terrible – so debilitating. By the way, that troll on your post showed up on mine too. I didn’t bother responding to his asininity on my article. With the back issue, eventually I learned to be mindful of how I move my body

9. Resa June 26, 2017

This is a Johnny-on-the-spot tips post for me after the bike in my back accident last summer. Thank you!

10. practicalinterior August 21, 2017

Love that you examined 3 important everyday household furniture sofa, bed, chair. This was really great to read.