You are here: Home » Health » How the digital healthcare industry is changing

How the digital healthcare industry is changing

Digital healthcare industry

Digital health has a global net worth exceeding $200 billion (2020 stats), and there is no argument about its influence on the healthcare industry. The huge evolution in how healthcare is administered makes it particularly convenient for all parties involved. Healthcare providers, clients, and consumers fulfill each other’s needs to interact and resolve problems. These advancements are likely to continue, as is more competition. Below is a discussion on how things may go.

Digital appointments in the healthcare industry

According to US statistics, patients book 46% of general online healthcare appointments. The remaining 54% of online bookings are taken care of by healthcare staff. Digital appointments eliminate the inconvenience of queuing at the physical location to wait for a doctor.

Bookings of this nature are not ideal for emergencies, though. Therefore, any other health requirement that may not necessitate a physical visit is perfect.

The exciting part is that some healthcare platforms make it possible to speak directly with a licensed medical practitioner at any time of the day and week. Moreover, the fact that more clients are choosing this online option shows that it continues to gain popularity among the public.

Online sale of medical devices

By the end of this year, Statista projects that the online sale of medical devices will hit $151 billion. This significant figure also highlights how this has transformed the healthcare industry.

It is often easier for people to shop online for medical devices than to look for them in person. As long as clients have the doctor’s go-ahead, some medical devices can be procured digitally.

Another important factor is the FDA requirements. For example, sunglasses and reading glasses fall under the category of medical devices in the US. That is why you can sit in the comfort of home to buy glasses online.

Healthcare trend: Increase in digital pharmacies

According to WebMD, the online pharmacy trend began in 1998, when several websites started selling prescription drugs. During the influx, regulating and licensing these outlets on the online corridors became essential.

Currently, there are about 50,000 online pharmacies in the United States alone. Although there has been much concern about illegal practices, things have also become more streamlined and fine-tuned over the years.

That made it possible for different service providers to come together under one umbrella to provide safety for clients. Today, you will find approved online pharmacies with the Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Site (VIPPS) seal. This seal makes it easier for patients and clients, in general, to be certain about the quality and legitimacy of outlets they deal with.

Access to online medical records

One vital transformation in the healthcare industry is the availability of online health records. Patients can easily access their medical information online and review test results.

These extra features are often available when clients sign up to healthcare portals provided by a specific facility. In some ways, it allows patients to wield some control over their health conditions. It allows them to see the exact descriptions by their physician concerning their health.

Increase in medical concierge services

For many people, a medical concierge service is a better option. The service allows them to be part of a small network of clients or patients attended to by a specialist. And people benefit from a continued professional doctor-patient relationship at an annual fee.

A primary physician attends to a limited number of clients online. It contradicts the traditional way where a doctor attends to hundreds or thousands at a physical location.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Privacy & Cookie Policy
%d bloggers like this: