Across the globe, less than half of all women are currently participating in the workforce. Unfortunately, women experienced unprecedented job loss during the COVID-19 pandemic. But we’re not going to just let that continue! When women are in the workforce, it provides diversification in the economy, spurs productivity, and moves towards income equality. If you want to start a new career or recover from pandemic losses, check out these resources online that can empower you and other women today.
Below are women-centered resources, ranging from podcasts and YouTube channels to online courses and business associations. Many of them are free and they could be the motivation that takes you on to reach your fullest potential.
Free women-led podcasts for career inspiration
Podcasts are a quick and easy way to find the motivation or guidance that will help you advance your career. Listen to women-led career podcasts for business tips, career advice, and boss lady inspiration whenever you need it.
Check out the following podcasts hosted by women entrepreneurs for help turning your side hustle into a full-time career, starting a successful business from scratch, and actionable strategies for professional success.
Here are three great ones:
- Listen If You Want Your Side Hustle to Be Your Career: Side Hustle Pro by Nicaila Matthews Okome
- Listen If You Want To Learn How To Start A Business: Being Boss by Emily Thompson
- Listen If You Want To Reach Your Highest Potential: The Marie Forleo Podcast by Marie Forleo
Free online courses to level up your skills
It’s an unfortunate truth that women are underpaid and underrepresented in male-dominated industries like tech. Help change this reality by choosing to be a female in STEM.
Even if you don’t have a degree in a related field, you can always upskill your digital and analytical skills to break into the industry and provide female representation. Here are some free resources to learn new skills:
- Udemy Free Resource Center
- Coursera Free Courses
- OpenLearn Free Courses
- Google Skillshop:
- Analytics Academy
- Digital Garage Free Webinars
Career role models to watch on Youtube
Another great resource on the web for free business and career inspiration is YouTube. The youtube vanced apk app for Android and Windows PC is great because it has an ad-blocker and other features only available with YouTube premium.
Watch the journeys of female entrepreneurs and professionals to explore a variety of career paths, such as marketing, technology, and medicine.
You can also look to women role models for tips on all things personal finance like paying off credit card debt, negotiating your starting salary, or learning why you should start investing. Feel free to take inspiration from the YouTube channels below:
- If you’re an aspiring female doctor, watch Rupa Wong for experiences balancing family life and private practice and tips for matching into competitive specialties.
- If you’re building a promising marketing career, watch Elif Hiz for tips on navigating the marketing world and being productive at work.
- If you’re a money-savvy girl who wants tips on personal finance, watch the Clever Girl Finance channel to learn how to create a financial plan or how to start investing.
Women’s business associations for networking and support
As a woman in business, it’s important to surround yourself with a community of your peers to learn from and lean on. Try joining a professional women’s business association to connect with a vast network of entrepreneurs and resources.
While many of these associations have an associated cost for membership, the gain you get from the initial investment might be well worth it so give it some thought. Below are some US organizations that are well-known. Many associations provide free business advice too so check out their blogs and resource pages.
- National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO)
- American Business Women’s Association (ABWA)
- Association of Women’s Business Centers (AWBC)
- International Association of Women (IAW)
Also, consider applying for certification as a women-owned business. There are many benefits, including networking and education opportunities.
Do you know of other resources online to help women in business? Were you familiar with any of those listed above? Cheers to achieving more in business, ladies!