3 Health Problems from Working in an Office

Most of you will probably do some sort of office work as part of your daily routine. Regardless of the specifics of your job, this means you’re sat in an office for hours on end. Did you know that many health problems can arise from working in an office every day? Some health problems to be cautious of are:

Muscle Aches, Pains, and Strains

Muscle soreness is something you will likely get from working in an office all day long. The main reason is that sitting at a desk will completely mess up your posture. This is what causes neck, back, hip, and knee pain in so many people. A common cause of poor posture at work is having a really bad workstation. If you’re supplied with terrible chairs and desks that aren’t set up ergonomically, then this will quickly cause a problem.

Your aches and pains can soon develop into injuries. Sigh, more health problems. Interestingly, if you do get injured as a direct result of shoddy work equipment, then you may be able to see a lawyer and claim compensation. Your boss should be providing you with stuff that doesn’t cause pain or result in injuries!

Also, if you want to learn how to sit better at your desk to prevent aches and pains in a proper chair, then check out this video:

More Health Problems: Persistent Headaches

It’s common for many office workers to end the day with a throbbing headache. Numerous things could cause this head pain when you’re working in an office. For one, it could be due to neck pain from the aforementioned poor posture! Secondly, it could be because you’re always staring at a screen for hours on end. Not only that, but the screen tends to be very bright as well.

A bright computer screen puts a strain on your eyes, potentially leading to a terrible headache that seems like it is right behind your eyeballs. If you want to prevent this head pain, then try turning the brightness down on your screen or wearing special glasses that block out certain types of light that can cause headaches.

Working in an Office and Obesity

health problems

An abundance of office snacks leads to a high chance of obesity. (Pixabay)

Okay, working in an office won’t automatically make you obese. But the risks of developing health problems like obesity increase for many office workers. The reasons? Lack of movement when you’re sitting all day long, the bad food you’re likely to eat at work as you gobble junk food down quickly during lunch, and the stress that accompanies the job. All of these things contribute to an increased risk of becoming obese.

To avoid those excess pounds, try and get up now and then from your chair and walk around the office. Or, do some light stretching to stimulate your body and stay active. Also, stretching or office yoga can help to relieve stress. When it comes to food, the best option is to prepare healthy meals at home to take into work with you. Doing so stops you from heading to the closest fast food joint for a cheap and unhealthy meal.

There you go: 3 health problems that can arise from working in an office regularly. Now you know what they are, do your best to avoid them!

1. thelonelyauthorblog August 1, 2018

Good post. People foolishly think these type of jobs don’t cause health problems.

2. booksofb August 1, 2018

Great post and thank you. It’s a problem that I could all too easily fall victim to. I compensate by getting out of my chair and walking around my building every 30 minutes or so. I’m addition to helping stave off some of the problems you describe – it keeps me closer to my Division and my people – giving them the chance to laugh and joke with me, to share success, to ask my opinion and to raise issues that they’re struggling with. Cheers, Brian

3. settleinelpaso August 1, 2018

Definitely, stretching and office yoga help. Taking a break every two hours and having a short walk help too. Thank you for another great post.

4. Melissa August 1, 2018

Great post and so true. I choose to print any copy job at the further corner of my area. That way I get a good walk in.

5. Joan E Wilder August 1, 2018

Hi Christy! I have been moving and haven’t been able to visit in awhile and I have missed many of your articles – but I’ll be catching up soon. I also want to mention how much I love the new look – your website is fabulous! Can’t wait to read more of your articles soon! Hugs!

6. Jill Weatherholt August 1, 2018

I think I might need to take an early retirement, Christy!

7. Lisa Hutchison LMHC August 1, 2018

Sitting does a number on the body. I try to be aware and move about during the day when at a desk. I enjoy taking a long walk also during the day. Thanks for this important post Christy!

8. Jyo August 1, 2018

Great stuff, you have pointed out some superb details ✌

9. cookwithreena August 1, 2018

very well said. Completely agree to it. My children are victim of these problem.

10. cbdnutritiononline August 3, 2018

I think your post will really help many people and they will changing their working pattern at work including me. Very Informative. Thumbs up.

11. broadview11 August 3, 2018

Not enough space that drives me crazy.

12. Amy Caudill August 3, 2018

It’s scary to think how unhealthy an office job can actually be, but you’re absolutely right. For those who stare at a computer screen all day (most of us anymore) it is really worth the cost to get anti-reflective coating on your eyeglasses. It really helps cut down on eyestrain from glare and the blue light coming from a monitor, tablet or smartphone. For those who don’t need prescription glasses, it is possible to order a pair of glasses without a prescription but with the AR coating on the lenses to protect your eyes.

13. aaronsystems October 9, 2018

True.. these are quite common health issues. With right posture, right furniture and planning office snacks can be helpful.

1. Christy B October 9, 2018

It just takes a bit of effort – and it’s so worth it for our health!