Life can get busy, and we can often neglect ourselves when it gets that way. Yup, we leave our health at the wayside. Whether you’re a working parent who puts your child’s needs first or you’re busy with your career and other commitments, the everyday things can and often do take over. So, what can be done to make your and your health more of a priority?Here are steps to start today toward positive change. We’re talking about a healthier, happier you – finally.

They’re Basic Things

The good news is that it’s back to basics. Just simple steps, rather than making radical changes, can impact your overall health and well-being. Parent or not, you’re only able to be the best person, wife, mother, etc. that you can be when you take care of yourself as well.

Eat Breakfast for a Healthier, Happier You

We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Many of us have been told that since we were kids. But what’s the reason behind it?

Firstly, breakfast boosts your metabolism. Therefore this first meal of your day will give you the energy to start it with energy. Just make sure you’re having a nutritious breakfast. Pastries and doughnuts won’t help your day start off right, no matter how good they taste at the time.

Find Exercise You Enjoy

There is a clue in the name ‘workout’ and the clue is the word work. It can be hard work to workout!

That’s especially true if you’re a beginner or need to get into a better fitness routine. In this case, find something that you enjoy so you won’t see doing it as a chore. That’s the way to a healthier, happier you.

After all, you’re more likely to stick at an enjoyable exercise routine rather than one that you think is boring or too tough. And over time that fitness routine can turn into weight loss, more muscle tone, or whatever goal you set for yourself.

Replace Bad Habits

You are only going to be at maximum health when you can kick bad habits. When something is holding you back, then it impacts your health, both physical and mental.

But going “cold turkey” or stopping formed habits abruptly can be difficult. So, it is a good idea to think about things that you can be doing instead to slowly transition to a healthier way of being.

For a start, you could look to vape instead of using cigarettes, for example. You could swap soda for sparkling water too. How about reading a book instead of looking through Facebook before you go to bed?

So, just look at your life and think about what you can be doing and how you can cut out or replace certain things with better ones for a happier, healthier you.

Control Your Portion Sizes Too

When you’re not in control of what you eat, then you can quite easily overeat. Yes, that’s an easy habit to get into!

To combat that routine, regularly look at much you eat and where you eat it. Preparing meals at home is the best way to know what is going into your food, as well as controlling how much you consume at meal time.

Lastly, use smaller plates or bowls as a simple way to eat less. You’re visually filling the plate but it won’t involve as much food as a bigger dish holds on it.

What are other ways to a healthier, happier you that we haven’t listed here? Let us know in the comments section below!

1. Steve Lakey April 25, 2018

I think you’ve shown that we can all start somewhere to make small improvements. I’ve cut out most of the highly processed foods I used to eat. And I’m drinking more water. It’s only been a few weeks, but I feel better already.

2. thelonelyauthorblog April 25, 2018

Great advice here. I like that you pointed out that is is “simple steps.” Then, you pointed out to do exercise you like. That is great advice. So many people start the gym and quickly fail because they fail to follow this advice.

3. Change for the better April 25, 2018

Great post! I’m just reading the happiness advantage, and a top tip for kicking bad habits is the 20 second rule. If you make bad habits take longer than 20 seconds to start then it makes it harder to do (i.e take out the batteries of the remote control for the TV and walk them 20 seconds away)

4. Tanveer Hussain April 25, 2018

Always finds valuable information and tips in your sharing.

5. samcomparone April 25, 2018

Love the article! I struggle with food, so portion control is key to not feel deprived. Simplicity is also key!

1. Christy B May 16, 2018

I’m all for simplicity :)

6. Lifewithanillness April 25, 2018

Great post, as always!!

7. Doctor Jonathan April 25, 2018

All great advice (that most importantly) is doable!! Keep sharing these important messages. Repetition is necessary to overcome people’s lack of willingness to incorporate necessary CHANGES in their lives to achieve healthier outcomes.

1. Christy B May 16, 2018

Let’s keep rocking the positive, Doctor Jonathan :)

8. Gallantly, gal April 25, 2018

I totally agree with all of this! Habits are so important because they are the building blocks to the type of life you choose to live. I love the exercise advice. I used to think I would hate exercising, but once I got into a routine and found the workouts I enjoy doing in front of the TV, I started to do so much more regularly which has definitely left a positive impact on my life. I have to still work on the overeating thing, though… :(

9. Jay April 25, 2018

We’re never too old to learn new, healthier habits!

10. Carolyn Page April 25, 2018

Love your emphasis on ‘replace’, Christy… If we don’t do this we can sometimes feel deprived. And that has a tendency to lead us back to those nasty old habits… :)
    xoxoxo

11. Samantha April 25, 2018

Great tips Christy! ❤

12. AskDaralynn April 25, 2018

I begun to use a jump rope again. It is fun and I don’t think of it as exercise. I did it when I was a kid unknowingly that it would keep my heart, and stamina in check. Great blog!

1. Christy B May 16, 2018

Sometimes I see people at the gym jumping rope – that’s great you’re embracing it too :)

13. yessirahma April 25, 2018

excelents, but I think doing some sports will help too,

14. robbiecheadle April 25, 2018

Great health tips here, Christy. Thanks for sharing.

15. the pretty poems April 26, 2018

I really need to follow on this list!! There’s so many changes I need to make so I can increase productivity. Increased productivity is increased happiness

1. Christy B May 16, 2018

So true. I wish you well with making those changes xx

2. the pretty poems May 16, 2018

Thanks love

3. Christy B June 16, 2018

And may your weekend be wonderful <3

16. Natalie Ducey April 26, 2018

Awesome advice, as always, Christy. Thank you! :)

17. Mummanopoly April 26, 2018

Very good advice, it’s so easy to get so intertwined with #mummylife and leave ourselves in the wayside! Although I never skip breakfast that is always a must for me and I like Big portions in the mornings 🙈🤭

Selfcare is so vital!

18. dgkaye April 26, 2018

Smaller plates is a good idea. I often use small plates at most of my meals. :) xx

1. Christy B April 26, 2018

I know you’re a health-conscious gal so this doesn’t surprise me, Debby <3 I remember your tips on getting food bargains too that you shared on your blog a few months back. Have a nice night xx

2. dgkaye April 27, 2018

Thanks my lovely. <3

19. Amy Caudill April 27, 2018

Great advice, Christy! While many of us may have read or heard some of these things before, I know I can always use reminders of just how important they are. I definitely am guilty of ignoring myself over other priorities from time to time.

20. Gail Henderson April 27, 2018

Great advice x

21. Teagan R. Geneviene April 27, 2018

So simple. I guess there’s no excuse for me. ;)
    Happy weekend.

22. andrea34m June 15, 2018

Preparing meals at home rather than buying ready meals to throw in the oven/microwave is important, there is SO much rubbish that goes into these convenience foods which is easy to notice if you look at the long list of ingredients on the back of such packets. Eating out is nice on occasion, but avoid fast food places as their homogeneous food offering is based on maximising profit rather than diet.

1. Christy B June 16, 2018

Fast food isn’t usually healthy food, as you indicate. I like the satisfaction of eating a meal that’s home cooked too because I’ve put the effort in… Your comments have me thinking now about new blog post ideas – and that’s a good thing!

23. michelebrownonline June 16, 2018

What a great article! Thanks for bringing some do-able options to the table to change things TODAY.

1. Christy B July 6, 2018

I love that you say these are things to implement today – That’s great motivation ♥

2. michelebrownonline September 14, 2018