These Food Facts Will Shock You

Do you think you know enough about the food that you eat regularly? The things we eat play a huge role in our lives and have a big impact on both our health and the environment around us. However, even though this is such a central aspect of our lives, there are still quite a few of us who don’t know some food facts that we really ought to. For instance, do you know how food relates to climate change? If not, it’s time to widen your food knowledge. What you read below may shock you.

Climate change and food. The environmental impact of farming is alarming.

How does livestock affect the greenhouse effect? Photo via Pixabay.

1. Livestock Contributes To The Greenhouse Effect

Looking after livestock and ensuring that it turns into meat that is suitable for human production requires industrial farming methods. And these are having a dramatic effect on the environment. In fact, between 14.5 to 18 percent of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions come from livestock farming.

But there are farms and companies that are trying to change this climate change problem. You can learn more about one such company by following the link. This huge environmental impact of livestock is just one of the reasons why the world’s vegetarian population is on the rise.

A surprising food fact is the large amount of food that goes to waste

As much as 1/3 of food goes to waste, including leftovers families throw out. Pixabay Photo.

2. Food Facts: 1/3 Of Food Goes to Waste

While cooking, you will probably throw some old ingredients out. You might even throw out some leftovers if you and your family don’t eat everything made for a meal. While you might not give this a second thought, it can really add up when looking at this activity on a global scale.

About a third of food made for human consumption in the world gets wasted. So, it’s important to try and reduce your food waste. That’s because disposing of it using industrial methods can be bad for the environment. Plus, with so many people starving in this world, it’s sad to see food go to waste!

Positive change CAN start at the individual level. If you find that food has spoiled then obviously don’t eat it. But why not compost it instead of throwing it out? Or, even better, try and not cook too much food for each meal.

3. The Food Industry Must Adapt To Climate Change

So far, climate change hasn’t had too bad an effect on the food industry. However, it is thought that this stability won’t last for much longer.

Many experts believe that the whole food and farming industry needs to start adapting, and do so soon. Climate change could soon start to reduce annual crop yields, which could provide food shortages around the world.

More food facts: learn how your diet impacts your health

Too much meat – particularly red meat – is linked to diabetes and other health problems. Photo via Pixabay.

4. Meat Links To Certain Health Conditions

Another of the food facts to know about is that eating too much meat, especially red meat, can increase the risk of specific health issues. This includes people suffering from health conditions such as high blood pressure and diabetes. Well, now that list of diseases and illnesses is starting to increase as more researcher look at meat and the conditions that it can cause. Many health experts advise people to limit their intake of red meat and have a few completely meat-free days during the week, if possible.

Once you start to learn more about the food and ingredients that you eat, you will fully understand how your diet can impact your health and the world around you. Eventually, you’ll be able to make changes for the better by knowing more food facts!

1. Sohair January 31, 2018

Very important points ..keep going Christy…

2. syl65 January 31, 2018

Thank you for the overview, Christy! Food knowledge is very important!

3. denzkyofficial January 31, 2018

Thank you for this article!

4. Resa January 31, 2018

GO VEGAN .. or VEGGIE! ❤️🧡💙🧡💛

5. mynewsdrive January 31, 2018

Very useful and knowledgeable!
    Thanks Christy! :)

6. Ben Aqiba February 1, 2018

Hi Christy,

in our culture is to eat a lot of meat. Especially red meat,which is very heavy for the body,and not so healthy. Good alternative is white meat, or blue meat like some types of fish. Thank you for valuable post

7. Fletcher February 1, 2018

I love animals ……and anyway the earth is having problems as is with using animals as a source of protein.

1. Christy B February 5, 2018

Sending love to you.. and to animals <3

8. Kathleen Kerswig, LUT February 1, 2018

I appreciate you. Thank you for sharing this important information here. You’re right, we need to know this and not bury our heads in the sand. Thanks again! ~ Blessings, KK

9. Smitha V February 1, 2018

Very useful reminder Christy. Especially with so many illnesses linked to food, it’s so important to be well-informed and to practice it.Thanks.

10. Amy Caudill February 1, 2018

This is very important information, Christy. While I would have trouble convincing my family to give up meat entirely, this is a good argument for limiting our consumption of it.

11. Empoweringruth February 1, 2018

I’ve been a vegetarian for over 10 years and i do not regret it.

12. thelonelyauthorblog February 1, 2018

Thank you for these reminders.

13. thegoodlifechronicles February 1, 2018

Allow me to say something that might sound super weird. I just can’t eat beef without a really heavy, bloated feeling. Is it possible to lack the enzymes for beef digestion?

14. Lifewithanillness February 1, 2018

Very informative! Great post!

15. Loretta February 1, 2018

great post Christy! We just watched Forks over Knives recently, and it finally helped my husband see that he was eating way too much meat, especially red meat.

16. Jay February 1, 2018

I’ve definitely cut out a lot of meat, especially red meat, for its environmental impact. I was a vegetarian for years because of animal abuses.
    The waste is the thing I feel the most. For the past year I’ve subscribed to a service that sends me only exactly as much as I need to make recipes for 2, which has been much better. Our culture likes to sell things in mega packs, which isn’t practical for small households.

17. aarzoorose February 1, 2018

Thanks Christy for sharing such meaningful points about food. Great post👍🏼

18. Mariam Naveed February 2, 2018

Always helpful christy

19. ValerieEstrella February 4, 2018

Yes and that’s why I’m vegan. Thanks for sharing!!

20. rollyachabotbooks February 6, 2018

Hi Christy…
    Informative and thought provoking as over the past several years I have become more and more aware of where my food has come. As you know I lived in the north, wild game became a part of my foods. Later I raised my own beef and knew where it came from. I avoid all sorts of processed foods. ( with the exception of Mars Bars and M&M’s)
    Now I am far more careful in my food selection. Leftovers are a part of my diet as I hate to see food go to waste. Any leftover can be made into another meal with a little time and a little care… Great article…

Hugs as always…

21. flouredbottoms February 24, 2018

I like this a lot. Food and climate change is so important but so overlooked

22. jasonsheasby February 28, 2018

Wow. This was a very informative and thought-provoking article. Keep up the hard, yet important work.

Thank you for sharing!

23. foodrage92 February 28, 2018

Very informative post 👍

24. Kimberli Theo February 28, 2018

Great post! Very informative. Now to get my husband to read this…