When Things Go Wrong at Work: How to Cope

If you’re one of those people who absolutely loves their job, and can jump out of bed and happily get ready for work, then you’re very lucky. Many people instead have to drag ourselves out of bed and force down coffee just to get through the day. Working is a hard life, but it is a must if you want money to have a roof over your head and food on the table. Unless of course you win big on the lottery, wink wink. But work can be a minefield, and when things go wrong at work, it can leave us miserable. Here are two disasters that can happen in the working day, and ways to cope with them.

Safety Issues

A lot of jobs have safety issues. Unfortunately some companies simply don’t protect their staff well enough to ensure they stay out of harm’s way. Consider some fast food places, for example. The staff there probably work around hot equipment every day; if the fryers spit back or splash at them they’re likely to have serious burns. It happens.

If you know that you’re in danger of burns like this, speak with your boss about the safety issues. If you’re one of the people who has been injured at work through something like a burn, then get in touch with a burn injury lawyer. Nobody deserves to be injured at work. And when things go wrong, nobody should feel as though they’re not able to speak out and get some compensation for it. Specially trained lawyers will make sure you get the compensation you deserve, and if you lose your job after it you can pursue unfair dismissal.

Co-Worker Issues

Problems with colleagues is something that will happen in almost every workplace. That’s because the reality is that not everyone likes everyone. It just doesn’t happen that way, even at an office. It could be that there’s already a feud already going on before you even got hired, for example. You’ll likely going come across a co-worker dispute at some point in your career, whether it involves you directly or not.

If you’re the target when things go wrong, then the disagreement can ruin your working day. Nobody likes to come into an office that has an unhappy atmosphere, especially not when it’s aimed at you.

In this case, the best thing you can do is to try and solve it ASAP. If it is because of something you’re doing that people don’t like, talk to them about it and acknowledge your actions. On the other hand, if another individual is doing something that you don’t like, such as being a bully, it can get tricky. The best thing to do is calmly approach them and speak to them about what it is they’re doing wrong. If they don’t understand they’re in the wrong, then take the disagreement to a manager for help.

When Things Go Wrong at Work for You

The above two issues show the ways that things go wrong in the working day. And there are plenty of other scenarios too. By understanding these scenarios and knowing strategies to best react, you can cope effectively with the problem at hand.

What are some other issues that can happen in the workplace? When things go wrong at work for you, how do you cope?

1. Third Line December 26, 2017

Because I am introverted, I plan to create my own job. Dealing with unreasonable coworkers and bosses is somewhat painful. Plus, I am doing work that I do not like either. When I start my own job, I can happily do the type of work (e.g. graphic and web design) that I like and deal with unreasonable people on the Internet mostly.

2. Ben Aqiba December 26, 2017

Wonderful post Christy. It is good to work the job we love. Like singers or movie stars . I can feel their passion. I am sure that you are doing the job you love

1. Christy B January 12, 2018

Yes, I love my career! How did you know ;) Thanks Ben, and happy weekend ahead!

3. Amy Caudill December 26, 2017

You always get to the heart of the matter, Christy. Sometimes the best we can do is to be content in our work situations. However, if you are truly unhappy in a career, there are always other options, such as seeking a new job and/or training for a new career.

1. Christy B January 12, 2018

Yes, I think it’s important to at least try to find other avenues and explore them. Thanks Amy for recognizing what this post was really about xx

4. Jill Weatherholt December 26, 2017

So true, Christy. We spend so much time at our day jobs, it’s not healthy to not enjoy it. If you don’t, it’s time to move on!

1. Christy B January 12, 2018

Truth! I hope you’re enjoying your day, Jill :) Happy Friday!

5. JT Hardy December 26, 2017

Nice blog post, Christy. I’m a huge advocate of immediately quitting a job if you don’t like it. A huge myth that I’ve noticed is that people feel they must work a regular 9-5 job. I’d rather pick bottles out of trash cans instead. In fact, I have a huge amount of respect for bottle pickers and people who beg for change. They are their own boss. We’re lucky because there’s tons of ways to make money in the US that doesn’t involve spending 40 plus hours a week in a place you hate.

1. Christy B December 26, 2017

So true JT that there are many ways now to make money doing things we love. The entrepreneur era is here! Great to read your comments today.

6. Resa December 26, 2017

I love what i do! I wake up before the alarm goes off. I do need 1 coffee, but hey, it tastes so good all hot and black in the morn. I love what I do so much, I don’t have a sit down lunch, and just snack all day on the move.

1. Christy B January 12, 2018

I’m so glad you’ve found such a satisfying career for yourself, Resa. I’m sure it hasn’t been all smooth sailing but the thrill of pursuing your artistic projects is likely second to none <3

2. Resa January 12, 2018

Of course, when there are no jobs around, I have to peel myself off the mattress. LOL {{hugs}}

3. Christy B January 30, 2018

Haha for me that’s when I have to side hustle! ((hugs))

4. Resa January 31, 2018

{{hugs}}

7. mihrank December 26, 2017

Wow – this is so healthy, effective exercise… I feel myself in Europe now!!

8. I am Aranab December 26, 2017

I am extremely lucky to have a job I absolutely love! Where I spend more than 12 hours a day and not fret about it! And all these issues do not apply! Touch wood it remains like this for as long as I am there!

9. Marje @ Kyrosmagica December 26, 2017

Unfortunately I have had to return to full time work and I’m finding it hard. I miss having the time to write, blog, comment and read. And as you say there are the added problems of work colleagues, etc. Hopefully before too long I might be able to cut down my hours. In the meantime I’m just focusing on ‘another day another dollar! Or on my case pound!’

10. Swati Awana December 27, 2017

This is an amazing post. Very few people are fortunate enough to have their passion as their job. But life has to go on. So many of us stuck in their jobs. We have to learn how to tackle things/people we dont like

11. Smitha V December 27, 2017

Most people are working for the money. Some are lucky to be in a job they love. If a job’s stressing you out more than the normal, then you need to get out because at the end, health is the most important thing. For the little issues of irritable work colleagues or a pushy boss, maybe a good way to get through it is to focus on the positives. If it outweighs the negatives, then there’s no reason to quit. Good post Christie!

12. Norah December 27, 2017

I agree, Christy. Work is more enjoyable when it’s both fun and safe. I also like a challenge. I work much better when my brain is engaged.

1. Christy B January 12, 2018

I love your positive take on challenges, Norah! Many people shy away from them but you’re a go-getter and I like that about you :)

2. Norah January 14, 2018

Aw, thank you, Christy. That’s so nice. :)

13. Kathleen Kerswig, LUT December 27, 2017

Thank you for sharing your ideas with us. I have found a job that allows me to have fun most days as I go about earning a paycheck. Much of that has to do with my attitude, which is under my control. I appreciate this article because it was a reminder to me that having fun at work can happen. Blessings, KK

14. Willow Croft December 27, 2017

Sometimes I resent having to go to my day job, but, as far as my job history goes, it’s the easiest, cushiest, awesome-est job I’ve had. Especially in comparison to the Florida school system.

1. Christy B January 12, 2018

You’re looking at the bright side and for that I’m rooting you on :)