Bad Balance Could Be More Serious Than You Think

Dizziness and balance problems are often overlooked because people put them down to general clumsiness. Sometimes they might be right but it could be an indication that there’s something else going on. Poor balance is often a symptom of more serious health problems and if you ignore it for too long, you could be putting yourself at risk. There are all sorts of reasons that you might be struggling with your balance so if you’re having problems, go to the doctor right away. You never know if you could have one of these conditions.

Instability of the body

Poor balance can indicate a more potent health issue. This woman tries to regain her balance. Photo by CasparGirl, CC BY 2.0, via Flickr.

Ear Infections

Ear infections are a pretty common ailment that can affect people of all ages. They’ll cause you a lot of pain as well as disrupting the inner ear systems that deal with your balance. They tend to be a problem in young children but some adults are still susceptible to them. If you’re experiencing ear infections, they are fairly easily treated. Just see your doctor and they should be able to give you some antibiotics that will clear it up easily. If you find that they just keep coming back, see an audiologist and get a more extensive examination done. There might be a larger underlying problem that is making you more prone to getting ear infections and stopping them from clearing up so quickly.

Meniere’s Disease

Meniere’s disease is a very rare condition that people don’t really know that much about. It usually affects people between the age of 20 and 50 so a lot of people are at risk. The symptoms can range from dizziness and vertigo all the way up to hearing loss. If it’s left untreated for too long, you risk becoming permanently deaf. Those first feelings of dizziness could lead to something far more serious so get it checked out before it’s too late. You could also experience a ringing in your ears from time to time. It’s caused by a buildup of fluid in the ear that happens for a few different reasons. People that suffer from allergies have a much higher risk of developing the condition so if that’s you, be aware of any dizziness that you might be feeling.

Motion Sickness

If you’re feeling dizzy often, but only in certain situations, it might be something as simple as motion sickness. It’s not dangerous but it can be a problem. When driving in the car is the most common place that people suffer from motion sickness which can cause issues. Your doctor will be able to give you medications that can help to curb some of those symptoms, but they aren’t miracle cures. However, there are other preventative measures that you can take to reduce the effects. Making sure that you haven’t eaten or drunk any alcohol in the few hours before driving helps a lot. It’s also important to try to focus on one specific point while you’re in the car. If you don’t want to take medication, ginger is an effective natural remedy for motion sickness.

Head Injury

If you’ve recently sustained a head injury, and you’re feeling dizzy, you need to get to a doctor right away. Even if you think that you’re fine if you’re struggling to balance then things might be worse than you realize. A lack of balance is one of the major symptoms of a concussion and if you have a particularly bad one it could cause lasting effects. Most people will recover from a concussion pretty quickly as long as they rest well and avoid doing any activities that could cause them to get injured again.

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome

Anybody that suffered from chickenpox is susceptible to Ramsay Hunt Syndrome. The same virus that causes the chickenpox can lay dormant until later life and reactivate. It causes a damage to your facial nerve and affects your ears. Dizziness and loss of balance are the early symptoms but later on, you could experience hearing loss and problems with your facial muscles. You’ll also get a rash as well, but if you’re feeling dizzy, that’s a sign that you might have developed Ramsay Hunt Syndrome. It’s a health problem that mainly affects the older generation so look out for it in later life. Catching it early is the key to making sure that you don’t develop any more serious complications. When you’ve been diagnosed, you’ll need to take antibiotics to fight the virus, as well as pain medication to relieve the symptoms while they get to work. Anti-anxiety medication is also great for treating any problems that you’ve got with your balance.

Having bad balance might just mean that you’re a bit clumsy but in some cases, it could be an indicator of something more serious so don’t just ignore it.

1. rollyachabotbooks September 25, 2017

Hi Christy… very interesting post and packed with great information. A few years back I took a rather hard tumble and bumped my head. The result within a day or two was each time I attempted to stand I would lose my balance. After consulting the doctor he recommended this

Apparently I had knocked some crystals loose and the result was improper balance.

Hugs from Alberta

1. Christy B September 25, 2017

Oh wow, thanks for the tip on how to resolve your balance after your fall. I’m glad you are okay now!!

2. rollyachabotbooks September 25, 2017

Just a minor fall but certainly loosened a few marbles… lol

3. Christy B September 25, 2017

Eeeek! Stay safe, my friend

4. Teagan R. Geneviene September 25, 2017

A coworker described something similar happening to his wife. The “crystals.” Amazing what the body can do to us. Hugs.

5. Christy B September 26, 2017

The body never fails to amaze me!

2. Baydreamer September 25, 2017

Thanks for all the information, Christy. Luckily, I haven’t had any balance issues, so knock on wood, but this is all good to know. It’s so easy to assume a symptom is trivial. It’s a cross between being a hypochondriac and quite the opposite. Hope you’re doing well! ❤

1. Christy B September 27, 2017

It can be so easy to get our minds spinning too with Google enabling us to self-diagnose so easily too! Thanks for being here <3

2. Baydreamer September 27, 2017

Oh yes, I have googled too many things, which isn’t always a smart thing to do. :) Hugs!

3. Christy B October 4, 2017

True! Google makes us think we have everything under the sun sometimes ;)

3. Teagan R. Geneviene September 25, 2017

It seems WordPress has stopped emailing me notifications yet again…

I hope you never have any of these things, Christy. Stay well. Hugs.

1. Christy B September 27, 2017

Perhaps WordPress is saying “Christy posts too much” ;) Thanks Teagan and I hope you’re even closer to 100% today xx

4. John Fioravanti September 25, 2017

Great post, Christy. No balance problems yet… touch wood… (John taps his head.)

1. Christy B September 26, 2017

(Watches John tap his head and smiles, hearing him say he has good balance) ;)

5. Loretta September 25, 2017

Great post Christy. I had a major issue with vertigo that lasted over a year! Some days it was so bad, I couldn’t work or drive. I had to do the Brandt-Daroff exercise for months to get rid of it.

Not fun.

1. Christy B September 26, 2017

It sounds like you’ve worked through the issue Loretta and I’m glad to hear this xx

6. Tanveer Hussain September 25, 2017

Very nice post Christy B. It was nice idea that we should take seriously routine ailment. Thanks highlight these importance.

1. Christy B September 26, 2017

Glad to hear the post makes sense to you, Tanveer :)

7. mysticwriter2002 September 26, 2017

Hello miss.oxford 😇

1. Christy B September 26, 2017

Haha ~ And look at me replying quickly ;)

2. mysticwriter2002 September 26, 2017

Thank you for replying miss .Oxford 😇💖💗

3. Christy B September 27, 2017

Haha ;) <3

4. mysticwriter2002 September 27, 2017

Hehehe😂😆💗

8. Megala September 26, 2017

Great tips, my other used to lose her balance once in a while and I will consider these possibilities !

1. Christy B September 27, 2017

I hope you are doing well xx

9. Jill Weatherholt September 26, 2017

Great information, Christy. It’s often difficult to diagnose the cause of dizziness.

1. Christy B September 26, 2017

Truth! Thank you, Jill

10. Very interesting post, Christy! I had never heard of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome. A family member had vertigo, and I didn’t realize this was a possibility. Wouldn’t they use anti-virals to treat the virus rather than antibiotics, though?

1. Christy B September 26, 2017

I would suggest seeing your doctor before doing either and getting the professional’s opinion. Nice to have you here! Hopefully this post proves helpful to your family member.

11. richa pandey September 26, 2017

Very nice post Christy. Few years ago I suffered from some infection in ear due to prolonged cold and cough I faced problem of balancing and I felt everything rotating in circular motion. It’s very necessary to cure it on time. Grt post

1. Christy B September 26, 2017

It really throws off all activities, doesn’t it, Richa… I hope you are all better now xx

12. Plantsandbeyond September 26, 2017

Can’t stand being on boats due to wobbly balancing. Great info, Christy. Xoxoxo

1. Christy B September 26, 2017

And seasickness is another boating issue that plagues many people. Thanks my friend for being here!

2. Plantsandbeyond September 26, 2017

Always

3. Christy B September 27, 2017

Right back at you!

13. vivachange77 September 26, 2017

An important thing to bring to light. Thanks, Christy.

1. Christy B September 26, 2017

You’re the sweetest xx

14. Lisa Hutchison LMHC September 26, 2017

Thanks. A very informative post Christy!

1. Christy B September 27, 2017

Appreciate the feedback, Lisa!

15. Resa September 26, 2017

Clumsiness has been a hallmark of my personality my entire life. LOL I’ll have to pay extra attention!
    Ramsay Hunt Syndrome is the second thing I have found out about that someone who has had chicken-pox can develop.The other is shingles. What else is CP hiding?
    Great post, Christy!

1. Christy B September 26, 2017

Ohhhhh ~ I think we have so much to be aware of and it’s a constant learning process, Resa. I’m glad you and I are open to learning so that we can safeguard ourselves as best possible. PS I can be clumsy too, even falling UP stairs, if you can believe it!

2. Resa September 26, 2017

Lol! Are you kidding?I fall upstairs a lot, downstairs … never! :D

3. Christy B September 26, 2017

Hehe ;) <3

16. Christy B September 26, 2017

I always appreciate the reblogs, Michael :)

1. Christy B September 26, 2017

So sweet!

2. OIKOS™-Redaktion September 26, 2017

Its the truth, Christy! Its always a pleasure visiting your site and read about things of great interest. Michael

17. Norah September 27, 2017

Thanks Christy. I hadn’t heard of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome. It’s good to be informed.

1. Christy B September 27, 2017

I agree and that’s why I like your educational posts so much :)

2. Norah September 29, 2017

We learn from each other. How cool is that!

18. Graham in Hats September 27, 2017

May I add:-
    Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).

Whilst it is benign in itself, It’s danger is in suddenly falling over.
    A principle symptom is always falling to the same side.

This quite easily resolved by a a none invasive technique. There is a youtube of the method

It never rains but it pours. :-)

1. Christy B September 27, 2017

Absolutely you may add that info, Graham -> always feel free to add information you think important here. It adds to the value of the post! Thank you :)

19. dgkaye September 29, 2017

A most excellent post Christy. I know a few women with Meuniere’s disease, and it’s amazing how many people aren’t aware that ear infections can impact balance. :) xx

1. Christy B October 4, 2017

So true that the connection between the ear and balance is elusive to some people… I am glad you are doing well and I am loving your blog posts, my friend :)

2. dgkaye October 5, 2017

Well ditto my friend. Hope you enjoy my Friday post, there are lots of goodies in it. <3 Hugs xx