Case of the Mondays, Anyone?

Do you have a case of the Mondays? Photo via BuzzFeed.

When the day of the week is Monday, it seems like the blues are in the air! The color blue is well suited as the one used here, in place of happier colors, such as orange or yellow. You may find Monday to be a difficult day if it signals the first day back to work or school after the weekend. You could describe your mood that day as being low or as a “case of the Mondays” if you’ve seen the movie Office Space. Here are 5 effective ways to cope with the Monday blues.

1. Prepare For Monday

One great way to cope with the Monday blues is to prepare for it beforehand. Yes, you know it’s coming up for you. On Sunday, take the time to relax and take care of yourself in preparation for your day back to school or work.

Exactly how you choose to take care of you varies according to your preferences; you might take a bubble bath or curl up with a book on the couch. The important point here is to pamper yourself and enjoy your day. After the relaxation of Sunday, Monday may not seem so difficult. You are relaxed, which makes you feel stronger on Monday.

2. Remember that Relaxation Period

If you do continue to get the Monday blues, think back to your relaxing activity the day before. Yes, use those thoughts of your me-time to calm you and help you feel stronger.

True, you might at first want to head back to the couch but then you will remember that you can get through this. Take comfort from the thoughts of you in the restful moments to help you cope with the Monday blues.

3. Talk About the Monday Blues

Another way to cope with the Monday blues is to talk about your low feelings with people who support you. Explain to your family and friends that you are feeling sad. You are not looking for them to fix your Monday blues but instead you want someone to talk to and to be heard in the process. You might want a hug or two.

When you talk about your Monday blues out loud, you may find that you release the negative energy as you speak. You expend the negative feelings and are relieved of this burden. Now you are free to be more positive about your day after airing your concerns.

Cure those Monday Blues with Deep Breathing

Use deep breathing to help cure the Monday blues. Photo by Mae Chevrette, CC BY 2.0, via Flickr.

4. Relaxation Techniques for the Monday Blues

Cope with the Monday blues as well with a series of relaxation techniques. You can use these methods in the mornings before you go to work, during your breaks and even after the work day ends. One method is deep breathing exercises.

Deep breathing releases tension from your body and helps clear your mind. You will feel less stressed after a few sets of deep breathing and feel stronger to get through the rest of your Monday. Also, here are some morning stretches to help improve your day.

5. Positive Self-Talk to Motivate You

Along with talking to others, motivate yourself on Monday with positive self-talk. How you talk to yourself can affect how you cope with your Monday. Talk kindly to yourself and use affirmative statements. Tell yourself that you WILL get through your Monday and that the day is not really as bad as you had imagined.

Tell yourself there are worse things than a Monday and that in less than a week you will again be at the weekend again. Affirmative statements will increase your motivation, lower stress and, as a result, help you to cope with the Monday blues effectively.

There are many ways to cope with the Monday blues. Relax yourself on Monday with deep breathing exercises and use positive self-talk. Speak with family and friends about your low mood and take time on Sunday to prepare for the next day.

Do you have additional tips that help motivate you on Monday? How do you chase away a “case of the Mondays”?

©2015 Christy Birmingham

1. Cassidy Frazee April 12, 2015

Don’t forget to have your nails done on Sunday. :)

1. Christy Birmingham April 13, 2015

Ahhhh that’s another great way to get into the swing of things :)

2. Cassidy Frazee April 13, 2015

It does!

3. Christy Birmingham April 14, 2015

Awww :)

2. teagan geneviene April 12, 2015

Those are interesting ideas, Christy. Hugs.

1. Christy Birmingham April 13, 2015

Hugs, you know I send you many hugs!

3. Tricia Drammeh, Author April 12, 2015

Great tips, Christy. I hate the Monday Blues and often spend part of Sunday dreading the upcoming week. I’m going to give your advice a try this week. Thanks!

1. Christy Birmingham April 13, 2015

I’m glad the tips will help you, Tricia. Knowing that perks up my day too!

4. lynnaj1 April 12, 2015

Reblogged this on People Forward and commented:
    My friend, Christy Birmingham always nails it. Great post. Quick read.
    Monday is the same as every other day to me, so I’m sharing this in the hopes it can be so for my friends as well.

5. Aquileana April 12, 2015

It is a gloomy feeling, sigh!…. I guess all is over as we enter tuesday… that’s how the weekly cycle works… Nice tips Christy!!!!… Hugs for your week. Aquileana :D

1. Christy Birmingham April 13, 2015

Yes, by Tuesday I think many people are more into the routine and all. I hope your Monday is going well and I’m pleased you liked the tips here, Aquileana! Thank you for the wonderful comment and support. Hugs! :)

6. Heartafire April 12, 2015

This is a great blog Christy, a fantastic idea. I enjoyed the article and can relate to this…the “Mondays” start creeping in about five pm on Sunday. These are fine ideas for chasing them out..:-D

1. Christy Birmingham April 13, 2015

I am so glad to see you here, Holly! Thanks for the supportive words and I do hope your Monday is going strong in warm shades of yellow rather than the ‘blues.’ :)

7. ghostwritingplus April 12, 2015

I love all your relaxation tips, Christy. A great way to prepare for the Monday blues or for anything! Hugs to you and wishing you a great start to your week!

1. Christy Birmingham April 13, 2015

True, Graciela, that the tips can apply to other situations too! Thank you for pointing that out here :) I wish you a wonderful week too. I take your hugs and also send you hugs too!

8. Aisha Abdelhamid April 13, 2015

Lol, wait till you’re retired and don’t know what day it is! It’s great! Hugs to you Christy! ❤❤❤;^)

Oh Aisha, I joke with my dad about that :) It’s great to see you!! <3

9. inavukic April 13, 2015

I just accept it, too “old” to worry about Mondays – just soldier on and it’ll pass :)

1. Christy Birmingham April 13, 2015

You have a determined spirit that is admirable, Ina!

10. macjam47 April 13, 2015

Great relaxation tips for whatever is causing the blues, Christy. I have never had the Monday Blues. I look at each day as a new day regardless of whether it is Monday, Sunday, or Friday. Before he retired, my husband used to get the blues on Sunday. because it was the day before Monday.

1. Christy Birmingham April 13, 2015

Ahhhhh! I could see that about Sunday being a blues kind of day, Michelle, for exactly that reason. I’m glad you enjoy every new day xo

11. ladysighs April 13, 2015

Retire! That gets rid of the Monday blues quickly. lol All the days seem alike now. Sometimes I ask my husband, “Is this Tuesday or Thursday?”

1. Christy Birmingham April 13, 2015

Hehe! But, don’t ask him that when he’s up on the ladder!!

2. ladysighs April 13, 2015

I am burning that ladder. lol
      We borrowed it from a neighbor and I am going to tell him never to lend it to my husband again.

3. Christy Birmingham April 14, 2015

Yes, it’s best to be safe. You can hire a professional instead. Good thinking!

12. shehannemoore April 13, 2015

lol… I just keep saying, Friday, Friday

Shey, clever Shey xo :)

13. Rajagopal April 13, 2015

Health stretches and Monday blues elimination tips…I just visualised you as a counsellor and fitness expert, a la Jane Fonda, giving a presentation.. No wonder you are looking so fit and trim…lol.. Keep it up, Christy…xx.

1. Christy Birmingham April 13, 2015

Awww! Thank you, Raj. I would totally love to run a fitness class – what fun!! I like going for walks and also like how I feel when I eat healthy (although I do love chocolate). It also makes me smile when I see you :) xx

14. Andrea Stephenson April 13, 2015

Tuesday is my Monday Christy, so all those people who had the blues this morning are over it and mine are still to come :-) Thanks for the tips!

1. Christy Birmingham April 13, 2015

Oh now I see! You can probably get your errands done quickly on Mondays while a lot of people are at work then, Andrea :) I hope your day off today is wonderful!

2. Andrea Stephenson April 13, 2015

Thanks Christy, yes, I shouldn’t complain as I get three days off a week :-)

3. Christy Birmingham April 13, 2015

You deserve it, sweet friend! I always enjoy your visits and thank you for taking the time here :)

15. D.G.Kaye April 13, 2015

Thanks for these great tips and reminders Christy. <3 And we should always remember that everyday is a blessing.

Aww I like that way of thinking about the new day too, Deb!! <3

2. D.G.Kaye April 13, 2015

3. D.G.Kaye April 13, 2015

Just want to let you know, you have been nominated. <3 http://dgkayewriter.com/versatile-blogger-awards-nominees-smorgasbord-variety-spice-life/

4. Christy Birmingham April 14, 2015

Ohhh thanks Deb and I will check out the award post!

5. D.G.Kaye April 14, 2015

At your leisure my friend. I know we are all busy. :)

6. Christy Birmingham April 15, 2015

I appreciate you xo

16. markbialczak April 13, 2015

Good tips, Christy. You are a great mind mender. Your shingle should read: Sunshine and Chocolate. May I add a No. 6? Remember that somebody else always has it worse than you do!

1. Christy Birmingham April 14, 2015

Yes, add a No. 6 and an extra smile now :) Thank you!

2. markbialczak April 14, 2015

I’m just following Christy’s exercise leads. :-) Bend, twist, squat thrust, jumping jack … Bad Thoughts Be Gone.

3. Christy Birmingham April 15, 2015

Awesome! I would totally have you in the front row of a motivational class as we could encourage one another, Mark :)

4. markbialczak April 15, 2015

My attendance record would be extraordinary, Christy. :-)

5. Christy Birmingham April 15, 2015

Oh yes, I know it! Wear those short too :)

6. markbialczak April 15, 2015

A dress code! Yes, teacher.

17. thewhisperingpen April 13, 2015

Christy, well said. I agree with all of your points and wish sometimes that I could remember to say no. I have so many hobbies and I try to get involved in so many activities that it is difficult to relax. At some point, I will be able to walk away from some of my responsibilities just to take care of myself. Thank you for the gentle reminder. :)

1. Christy Birmingham April 14, 2015

Yes, Nicole, my mom and I were just talking about saying ‘no’ to activities. It does get easier with practice :) Thank you for appreciating the reminders here.

18. The Coastal Crone April 13, 2015

Sunday afternoons are blue for me. But then I don’t have to go to work on Mondays now,

1. Christy Birmingham April 14, 2015

I hope your entire week is shining in warm yellows rather than the dreary blues so often associated with Mondays

19. leighmac17 April 13, 2015

Ahhhh…Now I know how to get rid of the Sunday blues! On Sundays I always got that feeling of dread that the weekend was almost over and I had to go back to work on Monday. So I had both Sunday and Monday blues. Sad way to waste a Sunday, huh? I just retired, so those blue days are over, but I wish I’d read this before I retired. Another tip for Sunday: If you are spiritual, go to church. I know, I know, I know…. its a day to sleep in. But you’d be surprised how a morning at church inspires you and lasts through the week.

1. Christy Birmingham April 14, 2015

Yes, your point about Church is a good one, Leigh and it’s appreciated by spiritual people. I think that Sunday evening dread is not a sensation you were alone in experiencing!

20. Carol Balawyder April 13, 2015

Great tips, Christy. I find that scheduling something fun on Mondays helps. A yoga class or having lunch with a friend or work colleague. Or even deciding to have lunch in a park or telling yourself that you’re going to smile at everyone you meet :) Give yourself a treat…maybe it’s ice cream or whatever so that you have something to look forward to. :)

1. Christy Birmingham April 14, 2015

Those are great tips, Carol! Having a fun Monday outing is a good idea. I like having things to look forward to :)

21. Resa April 13, 2015

I’m going with the color idea here.
    From the intro:
    “blue is well suited as the one used here, in place of happier colors”
    Why not wear a happy color? It could cheer your co-workers up & their better mood would enhance yours.
    Don’t want to be laughed at in those strong happy colors?
    Try strong healing colors. Today I wore teal, turquoise and aqua jacket, scarf, sneakers and nails over all black and charcoal.
    How about a gentle understanding vision in soft pinks, berries, camel, caramel?
    Best of a Monday to you!

1. Christy Birmingham April 14, 2015

Oh yes, that’s a great idea to adjust what you’re wearing! I like that, Resa. If you wear black, highlight it with a brighter color of scarf or shoes – there’s so many options (heck, you’re a costume designer, I’m not giving you fashion tips heeheheheh!!). PS We got through Monday! xo

2. Resa April 14, 2015

xo

3. Christy Birmingham April 15, 2015

<3 to you!

22. toritto April 13, 2015

Retire early! “What day is it?”

“Oh it’s Monday!”

Just like any other day. :-)

1. Christy Birmingham April 14, 2015

Hehe! Okay, I’ll keep the early retirement dream alive then :)

23. Clanmother April 13, 2015

These are great tips for any day of the week! I have always wondered why Monday’s have been perceived as blue! Even though I have actually experienced the “blue” feeling. Perhaps it is our subconscious telling us that something has to change, that something is not in sync. Mondays usually signal a beginning, something fresh and new.. We are not blue when the Monday’s fall into our holidays. I especially like your thoughts on positive self-talk. Our conversations with ourselves are essential! Always a great dialogue.

1. Christy Birmingham April 14, 2015

I think poor “blue” got pegged as the color of sadness but it deserves better than that. Let’s give bright blue a second chance at being seen as confident and bold. I like that! Oh yes, blue on holiday Mondays is not something that usually happens, good point! You have really added to the conversation here and I thank you for that, Rebecca!!

2. Clanmother April 14, 2015

I love how you start conversations, Christy!!! Always a pleasure to stop by – we are part of an amazing community.

3. Christy Birmingham April 15, 2015

Aw, I like that you appreciate my words, Rebecca! I enjoy our talks so much and adore the community here! I see sunshine this week for us, woot :)

24. syl65 April 13, 2015

Great ideas and tips to shake off those Monday blues. I like the idea of keeping some positive thought going to get me through. Thanks Christy! :)

1. Christy Birmingham April 14, 2015

I’m glad you find it helpful, my dear friend! :)

2. syl65 April 14, 2015

Most definitely, the Monday blues don’t stand a chance! :)

3. Christy Birmingham April 14, 2015

Yay! I like that comment very much :)

4. syl65 April 14, 2015

Have a great Tuesday, dear friend :)

25. andrea34m April 14, 2015

I wore a blue (well, navy) shift dress this Monday…. and a lady at work said I was a “pretty girl” which gave me a real boost! Whereas on Friday I had a negative incident. I must try some of these tips, I normally sleep disastrously on Sunday night and have to resort to chocolate on, at least, Monday to keep me going.

1. Christy Birmingham April 14, 2015

Hi Andrea, how nice to see you! Yes, chocolate is a friend of mine too… in moderation :) I do hope the tips help you and allow you to sleep easy on Sunday night. Hugs

26. BroadBlogs April 14, 2015

Ah, I made it to Tuesday!

1. Christy Birmingham April 15, 2015

Yahoooooo we made it! :)

27. The Chaos Realm April 14, 2015

Well, there’s a perk to being self-employed…Mondays, technically, don’t exist, because there aren’t any weekends LOL :-)

1. Christy Birmingham April 15, 2015

Ah yes, the traditional Monday to Friday schedule is falling by the wayside as more people become entrepreneurs. There is power to that! :)

28. Jeri Walker (@JeriWB) April 14, 2015

I’m all about preparing for the Monday blues and do my best to make Sunday evening as relaxing as possible. Easier said than done at times, but creating relaxing routines can go a long way. I also like to make my weekly list on Sunday afternoon so I can hit the grounding running. Mondays are by far the busiest day of the week! Doesn’t help that so many blog posts get published that day too!

1. Christy Birmingham April 15, 2015

Yes, Mondays can sure be busy! I’m glad you take time to rest on Sundays as I really do think that gets the week off on a positive note. Thank you, Jeri <3

29. milfordstreet April 15, 2015

Great post. The topic of Mondays has come up repeatedly this week for some reason. It also helps me if on Friday, I map out what I need to do on Monday. That avoids the “feeling lost” as you try to get back into the work week routine.

1. Christy Birmingham April 15, 2015

That is a great idea to use Friday as a prep day for the Monday. Thank you for adding that tip here!

30. Sue Dreamwalker April 15, 2015

Another great piece Christy.. :-) Thankfully I no longer have the Monday Blues.. :-) since retiring… Its a great Feeling! :-)

1. Christy Birmingham April 16, 2015

You deserve that great feeling every day of the week, Sue! :)

2. Sue Dreamwalker April 17, 2015

Awww bless you Christy.. Many thanks for that wonderful thought x

3. Christy Birmingham April 17, 2015

Sue, you are one of the brightest spirits I know in the blogging world. Seeing you online makes me smile :) xoxo

4. Sue Dreamwalker April 17, 2015

You just made me blush! :-D

31. Graham Stephen April 17, 2015

Office Space – brilliant!

32. lenie5860 April 19, 2015

Hi Christy, I like your list. Making it a habit to start Monday morning off with hugs is a good one – can keep you going all day.
    Another one that always worked for me – Choose one of your favourite outfits to wear on Mondays and lay it all all the evening before – outfit, accessories, etc – so you start of the day and the week with the least amount of hassle, knowing you look good. It’s a real pickup.

1. Christy Birmingham April 19, 2015

That’s a great tip, Lenie! And then you will be content with what you wear on the Monday, less frazzled, and at ease with the day to come. Thank you for sharing it with us here!

33. Carl D'Agostino April 20, 2015

As teacher 33 years always had Monday blues and restless night and awake before that 5:30 AM alarm clock no matter how well prepared I was. It was not the job or the kids but anticipating what the next horror would be imposed on me and others from power crazed administrators. They felt they were not doing their job if staff was afraid and miserable.

1. Christy Birmingham April 21, 2015

Eeek that sounds like it wasn’t the best system behind the scenes. I am glad those blues-filled Mondays are behind you!

34. 365dniwobiektywielg May 1, 2015

I amused themselves properly

35. Susan Sproull May 24, 2015

Great tips on how to deal with Monday Blues Christy. I just say to myself the day will be over before I know it and it is. :) Hope you are having a good weekend.