Creating fun recipes to celebrate even the smallest wins at home has to be the best feeling in the world. On a game day during the spring, it is always great to put together fun recipes that the whole family can share while enjoying sports on the TV. Today, let’s look at some fun recipes you can consider making for your friends or family who are in your bubble this spring to enjoy during the match.
1. Pulled cajun chicken sliders
Whether you’ve been keeping with the NHL 2019-20 Season or you’re more of a football family; these sliders are the perfect cheat to enjoy during the match and they’re easy to hold.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper
- Cheddar cheese
- 12 slider rolls
- In a glass Pyrex dish or a foil packet – add your chicken breasts, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper and butter. Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Once cooked through, use 2 forks to pull apart the chicken breasts ready for their addition to your sliders.
- Slide your sliders in half and in a large square dish, grease the sides before adding your slider bottoms. Add a small squeeze of ketchup as well as a layer of cheese.
- Add the chicken on top and sprinkle some more cheese. Cover with the lid.
- Use another baking sheet to push the sliders down and bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite chips and dips.
2. Nacho fries are one of the best game day recipes
There is nothing better than a pile of nachos while watching the big game; but what about nacho fries? Nacho fries are simple and moreish and these ones add steak into the mix.
- 225g sirloin steak, sliced thinly
- Salt and pepper
- 400g Fries
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 450ml milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado
- Chopped single jalapeño
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- Sour cream
- Add fries to a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes at 220C.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan melt 1 tbsp butter. Once melted, add flour and stir until paste forms. Cook for 30 seconds until the raw flour smell dissipates.
- Add a small amount of milk and stir until dissolved and thickened. Keep adding milk until thickened. Add sharp cheddar and stir.
- In a bowl, add your avocado, lime and jalapeños and mash until smooth.
- Heat up a frying pan to smoking. Season your steak slices and drizzle with olive oil. Add to the pan and cook to your taste.
- To assemble: add fries to a serving dish and sprinkle with salt. Add steak slices, and pour over cheese sauce to taste. Cover with guacamole, sour cream, and salsa.
3. Panko chicken nuggets
These crispy chicken nuggets are the ideal accompaniment to any match day and they are perfect when served with a sriracha mayo or a cool ranch dip. Let’s look first at the ingredients for this one on the games day recipes list.
- 4 chicken breasts, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 200g panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 100g flour
- 200ml buttermilk
- 1 beaten egg
- 300ml vegetable oil
- In a bowl, add your chicken breasts, smoked paprika, and buttermilk. Cover and place in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight if possible.
- Preheat oil in a frying pan on the hob.
- Set up a pane station: in 3 bowls add flour to the first and season with salt and pepper. Add the egg to the second bowl. In the third bowl, add panko breadcrumbs, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Take chicken out of buttermilk and dip in the flour, then egg, then panko breadcrumbs. Repeat with all chicken.
- Test the oil by placing a piece of panko breadcrumb into it and if it starts to brown right away the oil is hot enough. Add chicken in small batches giving plenty of space. Cook for 3 minutes on each side and check with a knife if unsure. Add to a wire rack for draining.
- When ready to serve simply grill for a few minutes to heat through and enjoy!
4. More game day recipes: Bruschetta bites
Bruschetta is a wonderful starter as well as finger food and for the game day, you can make a fun spin on this dish for the family.
- 1 large chest of crusty bread
- 100g cherry tomatoes
- 1 handful basil leaves
- Olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100ml Balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp honey
- Mini mozzarella balls
- In a saucepan, add balsamic vinegar and honey and simmer until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon- this will take about 10 minutes.
- Slice the bread and drizzle it with olive oil. Toast it either on a frying pan or under the grill for a few minutes until golden.
- Cut the top off a garlic clove and rub this on the bread.
- In a bowl, add finely diced tomatoes and finely chopped basil. Add a chopped clove of garlic and a drizzle of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Add mini mozzarella balls and stir.
- Serve your mixture on top of your garlic toast and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
Enjoy these fun snacks for your next game day!
13 thoughts on “4 game day recipes to make in spring”
Thanks for sharing these yummy-sounding recipes. They would be good anytime!
Yummy! Thank you for sharing, Christy! Will give an order to my kitchen. Lol Michael
Order up! :D
These sound wonderful Christy! I’m emailing these recipes to myself so I can hang on to them!
That’s a compliment, thanks Amy!
Cannot beat some nacho fries, sound lush x
Bring on the yummy treats :)
This looks good. Family time. Yay.😀.
Family time all the way!
The bruschetta bites sound delicious and something I’d love to make … perfect for a movie snack! 😀 Hope you’re keeping well, Christy! Hugs xx
Bites of yumminess! Thanks Annika and I hope you’re doing well too xx
These all seem delicious, Christy! I’ll try them and let you know.
Ohhh that sounds great!