How to Help Your Children Become Responsible and Community-Focused

Parents want their kids to grow up with the right priorities and values, and that’s a good thing. One of the most important things of all to many people is a sense of community and collaboration. Getting along with the people around you is good and positive, and it’s something to try to instill in your children too. You’ll want them to be a part of the community and to enjoy their role in it, so how can you make that happen?

Make responsibilities child-appropriate

Encourage your children to help their neighbors as part of instilling a sense of community and responsibility in them. Photo from Pixabay.

Encourage Them to Help the Neighbors

If you have older neighbors and they sometimes require a little extra help around the home, this need is something to explore with your kids. If you encourage to help people out and do something positive for locals, they’ll soon start to realize the importance of these types of things.

Give Them Responsibilities Around the House From a Young Age

It’s important for kids to have as many responsibilities as possible while growing up and coming to terms with the real world. Of course, I’m not talking about adult responsibilities. Instead, it’s about parents giving them tasks around the house or a dog to care for and walk. These things all show the importance of working hard and being responsible.

Get Them Involved in Plenty of Group Activities

When your kids get used to working alongside other people to complete tasks and generally have a good time, they start to realize why community is so utterly important. Life is not a solo mission, and your kids should realize that as soon as possible. Things like group mission trips could be really beneficial for them for exactly that reason. It’ll teach them vital team skills as well.

Show Them Why Community Matters So Much

If you as a parent want them to understand why you’re pushing this community-focused agendas onto them, you need to communicate to them why strong community bonds matter so much. Show them the direct impact and benefits of a strong community spirit and why it’s valuable to them going forward. It is something that they’ll also benefit from in the long-term.

Let it be Fun Too

Finally, remember that all of this might not be particularly enjoyable for your kids at first but that’s OK. You can make it more enjoyable by showing them the fun side of being part of a community and working with others. This isn’t a punishment and parents shouldn’t encourage them to think of it as such.

As someone who values community, it’s only natural that you’d want your kids to grow up in the same way and with similar values. Just remember not to make any of this a chore because kids typically don’t respond well to that kind of thing. If you put the suggested ideas into play moving forward, you open the door to your kids becoming well-rounded, community-focused young adults.

1. Grace Gardner April 11, 2018

Wonderful ideas. Taking kids to the library and farmer’s markets are also great ways to support and grow that sense of community.

1. Christy B April 11, 2018

I love those additional ideas you’ve provided here too, Grace! Thank you

2. Mish Mash Lifestyle Blog April 11, 2018

What a fantastic topic!
    I try very diligently to instill a sense of community in my boys (age 11 and 4). We recently took part in a community event after some devastating events happened to local businesses, and my older son said he was so proud to just be there with everyone. So important! Thanks so much for your post! :)

1. Christy B May 2, 2018

I’m so happy to hear about the community spirit you are instilling in your boys. Thank you too for the enthusiastic comments on the blog –>> Wishing you a great rest of your week :)

3. InspiresN April 11, 2018

Great post Christy! on another note I received an email from you to subscribe my old site which is now private after I moved to a new hosted server. I had moved all subscribers to my new site https://inspiresn.com . I hope you are able to see my posts there, please let me know.Thank you!

1. Christy B April 11, 2018

Ok, I see it now <3 I was confused! Thank you xx

2. InspiresN April 11, 2018

Great Thank you so much for your feedback!

4. Jay April 11, 2018

It’s so great to see kids get engaged. My nephew recently decided to ‘save the salamanders’. He’s 6 and it’s kind of awesome to see him already thinking of something outside himself.

5. Robert Matthew Goldstein April 11, 2018

Humans are not born as civilized beings. Living in a community takes a set of skills, all of them acquired.

1. Christy B May 2, 2018

I appreciate the reblog and support, Robert. xx

2. My pleasure Christy!

6. Micki Allen April 11, 2018

So relevant today — it’s difficult but doubly important to make sure that children see teamwork and its benefits outside of simply sports. Caring for our neighbors is especially important in an increasingly isolated world. Kudos to you for your thoughtful and thought-provoking advice! xox

7. robbiesinspiration April 11, 2018

Excellent points, Christy. I need to make sure I am doing this with my own boys.

8. sunniesmybunnies April 11, 2018

9. Reblogging to sister site Success Inspirers World

10. Marje @ Kyrosmagica April 11, 2018

So important, thanks for sharing Christy. :)

11. Norah April 12, 2018

Great post with lots of good ideas, Christy. It makes me think of the saying, “Be the change you want to see in the world.” Your children will learn from the example you set.

1. Christy B May 2, 2018

Be the change — YES! Great comment, Norah!

12. paula graham April 12, 2018

It is generally women who bring up children.. that tells you everything you need to know. If anyone needs educating it is the girls, the women cause they set the tone.

1. Christy B July 13, 2018

Beautiful comment, Paula ♥

13. ionalilynicol April 12, 2018

Wonderful ideas! Insightful xx

14. Amy Caudill April 12, 2018

Great tips, Christy! One of the best ways to teach kids to participate in their community is to let them learn from your examples-join a group project where everyone can pitch in.

15. Teagan R. Geneviene April 12, 2018

This is a terrific opinion, Christy. Hugs!

16. enniyaya April 12, 2018

I nominated you for The Liebster Award!

1. Christy B July 13, 2018

Thank you!!

17. sheldonk2014 April 12, 2018

From my experience as an parent I didn’t wait a second as soon as my daughter came home it was game on I did the days and my wife did the nights
    I would talk and she would listen
    I sang songs told her stories
    We did numbers colors shapes
    Painted colored played with buttons
    Marbles and even dry beans
    As soon as she had her last round of shots we took her out on a rainy day and everywhere I had to go she went with me
    She’s in 6th grade now asking me for the car keys
    As Sheldon Mostly

18. dgkaye April 13, 2018

I hope a lot of parents see this Christy. Children need to learn responsibility and these tips are so helpful. <3

19. Tricia Drammeh April 15, 2018

Fantastic advice!

20. Alec Allshouse April 16, 2018

I agree with you about how to your neighbors and that making things fun goes a long way.

1. Alec Allshouse April 16, 2018

*treat

2. Christy B May 2, 2018

It really can make a difference. Thank you