Putting The Fun Back Into Fitness

When you have a busy life and things to take care of, it can be hard to stay motivated and spend loads of time in the gym. After a long day of work or school, the idea of going to workout can feel like a big chore, and a lot of people will give up on their fitness aspirations because of drawbacks like these. This is a shame, though, as the missing element from your exercise will usually be the fun. Adding this to your routine is nice and simple, with just a few changes making a huge difference. To help you out, this post will explore some of the options you have, along with the best ways to find your own.

Exercise inspiration

Working out as a team can motivate you. Photo by Pascal Swier on Unsplash.

To start, doing something as a group is often much more entertaining than doing it alone, and having people to exercise with will often make a huge difference to the way you feel about the gym. This can come in several different forms, from working as a team to pitting yourselves against one another. This sort of approach opens the doors to loads of new and interesting workouts you can’t do alone. Often, you’ll already know other people going to the gym who will be able to do this with you.

Of course, for some people, personal goals will be much more important than the pressure of keeping up with your team, and this will lend itself to a different kind of fun. It’s very easy to turn something like exercise into a game. By giving yourself a very difficult goal, you will be forced to push yourself in each workout to try and reach it. Once the first one is ticked off the list, move onto something even harder, comparing your results from the last session. This is how a lot of people become fitness junkies. The allure of self-improvement becomes too strong to resist once you’ve spent some time at the gym.

Finally, as the last option to consider, a lot of people are using entirely new ways to keep fit, and a lot of them put fun first. The benefits of rebounding on the lymphatic system, for example, include much more than just keeping yourself fit. Along with this, you will improve your balance, agility, and make yourself happy in the process. From jumping on trampolines to riding tiny bikes, there are loads of ways to keep yourself fit, and they don’t have to make you bored or unhappy. Instead, with the right research, you can ensure that each and every session is something you love.

Hopefully, with all of this in mind, your gym life will get a bit simpler. A lot of people struggle to keep motivated while working on their fitness. This area requires a lot of determination and discipline, making it hard to keep on top of it if you don’t take the right steps.

1. HyperchildChillmom January 23, 2018

Laughter is a great way to stay fit, Running around playing with your children, at the park or just family like a hike is a great motivator. I find it the hardest through the winter but have been getting better at it. We go sledding and skating and I plan to do some skiing this year!

2. Invisibly Me January 23, 2018

I’d love to try trampolining (I did do it briefly when I was at school in PE when I was about 15). I’d be a bit apprehensive now with the stoma but it would be great fun – some really good ideas here and I totally agree with the change in mindset and activities because exercise should be about moving your body and enjoyment rather than a forced feeling of dread!
    Caz x

1. Viola Bleu March 2, 2018

I got on my trampoline only yesterday along with 4” of snow!!! I have video evidence to prove it …. wellies and coats and the snow layer jumping with me was fun, really funny too!
      I hate exercise in winter but this was one way to raise my heartbeat!!! 🥂👌🏼

2. Christy B March 7, 2018

Ooooh if I had a trampoline I would invite you on it with me :) Awesome that you understand exercise CAN be fun xo

3. thelonelyauthorblog January 23, 2018

It is so true, people tend to do the fitness/gym thing when they are accompanied by a friend.
    I have always been lucky with that. The silence (because of my headphones) of the treadmill has always called me. It is the perfect time to inspire my creativity.

1. Viola Bleu March 2, 2018

So agree … I’m forever promising myself to get a good playlist together but then my son will have ‘borrowed’ my headphones … or I have no wifi … or battery is flat. Excuses excuses I know 🙈🤣

4. Jill Weatherholt January 23, 2018

Great suggestions, Christy! Having a desk job makes me really look forward to working out when I get home. No matter how tired I am, I always feel better after a good workout.

5. Carolyn Page January 23, 2018

Great ideas here, Christy.
    You know I dance a bit. But, I’ve reduced social dancing to only once a week, which is not enough exercise for me. So, I’ve been thinking of getting a rowing machine. Just a thought at this moment; but, I’ve always wanted one! Apparently a few minutes each day is a total body workout; both aerobic and cardio. Should I get one I’ll let you know the results.
    I have a little mini tramp, which I love to jump on. At the moment it’s in our shed..haha.. a lot of good it’s doing me there… :)
    Your recent posts have me thinking more and more about putting a new plan into action. Well done you…

6. myexpressionofthoughtsblog January 23, 2018

Exercise is to the best way to relax and have some leisure time with self!!

1. Christy B March 7, 2018

Exactly! <3

7. settleinelpaso January 23, 2018

Great suggestions! I have been lazy for a month or so. I have to start again. Your post gives me this idea 💡 may be we can start doing family workout. That will be more fun compared to doing exercise alone.

8. movingmrs January 23, 2018

Great post! I love working out at a yoga studio. My favorite is bikram yoga. But I really enjoy any hot yoga class. I love how I feel after a good work out. And not to mention I sleep better too!

9. Jeri Walker (@JeriWB) January 23, 2018

I’m trying as many classes as I can at the YMCA right now to see what I like best. One way for me to keep fitness fun is to not fall into too strict of a routine.

10. paulliverstravels January 24, 2018

My first foray into fitness was joining Tae Kwon Do with my father and brother. Then I got into weight lifting as cross training. Then I got my black belt and tried other martial arts. Unfortunately, I never stayed in one place long enough to get another black belt in any of the other places I lived, but I studied aikido, judo, Sun Dragon kung fu, and jujitsu. And I married a yoga teacher so picked up some of that before she left me. Now at my age I don’t bounce back from injuries like I used to, so most of my exercise is lifting, walking, swimming, and yoga.

11. macjam47 January 29, 2018

Great suggestions, Christy. For me, it was finding a routine I enjoy – the pool, Pilates, walking, free weights vs machines, and playing with my grandchildren.

12. whitspangler February 24, 2018

I love this! I go to the gym with my best friend and we laugh and make it fun! We live in a small town so our gym doesn’t have much to offer but we would really like to try something new!

13. Club of “Runners” March 1, 2018

My friend and I have begun doing many of our workouts together. It’s amazing to me how just having the accountability of someone else keeps me going!!

14. Happily Ever Healthy March 1, 2018

Great post! I totally agree that there are plenty of ways to make fitness fun. When people feel like they are playing instead of exercising than they are more likely to stick to a workout program. This will only motivate you even more to keep going back to the gym. I, personally, really look forward to my workouts because they are always challenging and fun, which motivates me to exercise even more.

15. Viola Bleu March 2, 2018

Loved this post … really got me thinking .. especially about my silly 2 minutes of the garden trampoline with the snow yesterday!!!!

16. mizgorgeous March 2, 2018

Great article! check out my blog…maybe we could do some master piece together :)

17. ColbysFitAdvice March 18, 2018

HEY that’s an awesome way to keep the fitness flame shining bright! If its not fun most people wont do it, I need to Invest in some tiny bikes now ha! love it great post!

1. Christy B March 19, 2018

Loving the enthusiastic comment!

18. mattytowey March 25, 2018

Great post!!

19. bubbleteacasey March 30, 2018

This is awesome :) thanks for getting me for motivated!

20. The Trainer RN Hood River April 18, 2018

Absolutely! The Trainer

21. glossy woman May 4, 2018

Awesome, great motivation

22. timbennettmovement May 9, 2018

Some really great ideas for staying motivated here.
    Thanks for writing this post!

1. Christy B May 10, 2018

And appreciative of your read!

23. Alina Smith June 7, 2018

i am totally agree with you. the fitness can be fun, it is the best thing in the world.