Feeling Fatigued? 5 Common Causes

When you’ve got a busy schedule, the last thing you want to be feeling is fatigued. Perhaps you have a full-time job and a family to look after. It’s not easy to function when you’re constantly feeling tired. However, many people fail to notice the common reasons why fatigue may occur. Once you’ve narrowed the cause of your fatigue, it’s usually fairly simple to address with medical help and advice. Here are some of the most common causes of fatigue.

Determine why you feel lethargic

She feels tired… but why? Pixabay photo, CC0 Creative Commons.

Not Enough Sleep

It sounds like common sense, but there are many people who ignore the amount of sleep they should be getting on the average night. The government recommends that adults get between six and eight hours sleep every night in order to function properly. If you’re having trouble sleeping, you may need to change your mattress. You should also try some light exercise and warm shower before going to bed. Lighting a candle with a lavender scent can also help. Just remember to blow it out before going to sleep.

Sleep Apnea

If you’re sleeping well during the night, but still finding that you’re fatigued during the day, you could be suffering from sleep apnea. Ask your partner to keep an eye on you during the night and find out if you snore and temporarily stop breathing during your sleep. Sleep apnea is common in people who are overweight and smoke. Drinking alcohol can also worsen symptoms. Your doctor may prescribe dietary advice alone with a CPAP device to help you breathe at night.

Fruits and veggies are better sources of energy

Opt for fruit rather than a donut to give you long-standing energy. Pixabay photo (CC0 Creative Commons).

Your Diet

What you eat has a direct link to how you feel. It may be easy to reach for the donut while you’re on a coffee break at work, but that sugar will only leave you feeling fatigued in half an hour. Many people make the mistake of thinking sugar can give them an energy boost. While that may be true for a while, it will soon bring your energy levels crashing down. You can find out more about diets via Defend Your Healthcare. Make sure you’re eating plenty of fruit and vegetables to get the type of energy that will last you all day.

Iron Deficiency Anemia

This type of anemia is most often found in women. Red blood cells without enough iron in them make it difficult for oxygen to be carried around the body. If your body isn’t getting the oxygen it needs, it could result in fatigue. If you have heavy periods or are pregnant, you could be at even greater risk. If you are diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia, you can replace the lost iron with iron rich foods or supplements.

Feeling lethargic may signal depression

Feeling anxiety? Lacking energy? See your doctor to determine the root cause, such as depression. Photo via Pixabay (CC0).

Depression

One of the main symptoms of depression is fatigue. If you find yourself feeling sad or anxious a lot, it could be worth visiting your doctor to discuss depression. There’s no quick fix for this mental illness, but getting help and treatment is much better than trying to deal with it alone.

You should always visit a medical practitioner when you aren’t feeling well.

1. An Tony'M October 9, 2017

Hi Christy
    Intéressant ton article…Comme toujours !
    Prends soin de toi mon amie.
    Tony from France.

2. Trice Yeboah October 9, 2017

I am always tired because I take care of my baby and I barely sleep because she is quite active in the night

3. Resa October 9, 2017

There’s nothing worse than dragging one’s feet around all day. Low iron is a sneaky one, as it is not often thought of. I got over my anemia by cooking in a cast iron skillet, and eating raisins.
    Cast iron cookware is a bit of a hassle, as it is heavy and will rust if not cared for properly.
    I don’t need to use it anymore, but it sure got me out of my low iron rut.

4. settleinelpaso October 9, 2017

Great article. Feeling fatigued is awful and you have nicely outlined the common causes. When Dear Son goes to sleep, sometimes I am so happy that I start watching things on Netflix. I know how it feels when one does not have enough sleep. Shared on social media.

5. Mariam Naveed October 9, 2017

6. Amy Caudill October 9, 2017

I hate it when I feel fatigued. Sleep apnea also affects the spouse as well. I used to wake frequently when my husband stopped breathing before he got a CPAP machine. It really does help both of us to sleep better.

1. Christy B October 14, 2017

Great point Amy that sleep apnea and other sleep issues affect not only the sufferer but also the spouse (and potentially kids too). A friend of mine is looking into the CPAP machine. Great to hear it has helped your household. Love it when you visit here :)

7. Alice October 9, 2017

… I am all of those. yikes!:(

8. The Coastal Crone October 9, 2017

Good tips!

1. Christy B October 14, 2017

Hi Jo :) Wishing you a nice rest of your Saturday!

9. Jill Weatherholt October 9, 2017

Great tips, Christy! If I don’t drink enough water, I’ll start to feel fatigued.

1. Christy B October 14, 2017

Same here, Jill! And water helps fill us up until the next mealtime too.

2. Jill Weatherholt October 14, 2017

Definitely!

3. Christy B October 14, 2017

10. Understand546 October 9, 2017

I can relate because I have sleep apnea.

11. Wake38 October 9, 2017

Christy,
    I often find myself not eating, because I am on the go and I can’t leave out that I could go an entire day before I have a glass of water. Case in point, right now I plan to get up and go get a glass of water–it’s 5:16 pm.

12. Kirt D Tisdale October 9, 2017

Very informative and great tips, which I have passed on to my wife who is experiencing fatigue.

1. Christy B October 14, 2017

Thank you Kirt for passing on the information to her. I hope it is of help xx

13. Tony Burgess October 9, 2017

If your iron level is too low you can’t donate blood. Yeah that sounds self serving for a person who works for a blood bank but women are a important part of the donor pool.

1. Christy B October 14, 2017

Good to know this, Tony!

14. Baydreamer October 9, 2017

Great tips, Christy! The only time I really felt fatigued is when I was seriously sick last Dec. with pancreatitis from a gallstone. It was that moment when I learned what fatigue truly felt like. I could barely move because my legs felt like logs. Otherwise, aside from feeling tired occasionally, I’m doing okay. :)

15. Ben Aqiba October 10, 2017

Hi Christy,

I must say that your every post is treasure.Thank you so much

1. Christy B October 14, 2017

Also a treasure is… YOU, Ben!

16. mysticwriter2002 October 10, 2017

Depression makes texture black and leads to weight loss. Maybe you one is wrong miss.oxford

1. Christy B October 14, 2017

Thanks for the feedback!

2. mysticwriter2002 October 14, 2017

Pleasure miss.oxford😉

17. New England Nomad October 10, 2017

All good points. It may seem contradictory, but lack of exercise and activity can make fatigue much worse. I find that after a good workout or even just going for a walk can give me a boost of energy.

18. Megala October 10, 2017

I have experienced that whenever I am mentally tired, I have become physically weak.

19. Calysta Hannah October 10, 2017

Great tips. 👌

20. Erin Leigh October 10, 2017

I’ve dealt with anemia my entire life. It’s not a fun one but if you’re aware of it, it’s easily managed. Great post!

21. Jeri Walker (@JeriWB) October 10, 2017

I’ve dealt with a lot of fatigue throughout chemo. It was really frustrating, even if I do tend to bounce back fairly quickly. I had never known what it was like to be tired in a way before where recharging was simply not possible no matter how much rest I got. I’m only eight radiation treatments in, and there’s a chance I will get fatigued from these daily treatments as well, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

1. Christy B October 14, 2017

I’m wishing you at least a few hours this weekend free of the fatigue, Jeri <3

22. John Fioravanti October 10, 2017

Well said, Christy. Thanks for the tips!

23. Dee October 10, 2017

Well voiced and written. I remember being tired due to eating the wrong foods. This led to a change in eating habits and a much better lifestyle.

1. Christy B October 14, 2017

Those packaged foods can leave us feeling drained, right?! Great to hear you’re embracing a healthier eating plan now, Diana xx

24. Natalie Ducey October 10, 2017

Thanks for sharing, Christy! This has been my struggle for years. I discovered my B12 levels were very low and I now do self-injections every three weeks. It helps for sure. But regular exercise, sleep, and healthy eating are all key pieces for sure. Not always easy, but essential indeed. Thanks again. :)

1. Christy B October 14, 2017

Sounds like you’re covering all the bases now, Natalie :) Keep going, you wonderful poet you!

25. dgkaye October 11, 2017

Super post Christy. Great check points to check into our weariness. <3 x

26. The Melanated Maven October 12, 2017

All great points! Not enough sleep could be the obvious reason, but I love how you pointed out other potential reasons. Especially ones that sometimes require a doctor evaluation and can be corrected by diet and nutrition changes. Thanks for posting!

1. Christy B October 14, 2017

Wonderful to receive your feedback!

27. moiline November 17, 2017

Being anemic sucks. It isn’t just the ordinary “Oh I feel tired!” It is more than that. Extreme tiredness. I can’t be under the heat for so long or I’ll be dehydrated. Worse case scenario is during periods. I get bedridden and all I want to sleep because of extremely feeling weak due to the blood loss during period. So many times I feel like fainting but thank God never did I faint due to fatigue due to being anemic.

1. Christy B November 17, 2017

Do take care and thank you for stating more about the tiredness that comes from anemia ♥